Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using iphone upside down

Is there a way to use an iphone upside down when needed occasionally?

My car has a shallow slot for a smart phone. I tend to point the lightning port facing up so I can have it charging. It would be nice if when I glanced down if everything was "right side up" in this usage mode. For example, if someone calls me, I could see the caller's name in the correct orientation even though the phone was reversed at that moment.

Another example is at the gym on a cardio machine. Because the headphone jack is on the bottom, I have to put the phone on the stand jack facing up, and it would be nice if in this mode I could just use the phone upside down entirely.

When I turn my phone over, I wish the graphics would turn over too.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 3:06 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 4:20 PM in response to ldavisfl

ldavisfl wrote:

Another example is at the gym on a cardio machine. Because the headphone jack is on the bottom, I have to put the phone on the stand jack facing up, and it would be nice if in this mode I could just use the phone upside down entirely.

I've found that using stereo BT headphones works out so much better on cardio machines. No more catching my hand in the headset cord and yanking my phone off onto the treadmill.

Mar 1, 2015 4:57 PM in response to ldavisfl

I have made the "feature" suggestion to Apple, as suggested. Since the iphone and ipad both run the same OS, one would think this "feature" wouldn't take too much development since it already exists on the iPad. Any ideas why Apple has blocked this feature on an iphone, considering they coded for it on the ipad?

While I appreciate the suggestion to consider a BT headset, it doesn't really address my question so it's kind of random. I don't think the BT headphones are a solution for me. First of all, I have never caught my hand in the headset cord, so I never really minded the cord per se. I don't want to spend money on a special headset and I don't want to manage the charging of the headset. If the screen would simply rotate around, I would be pleased as can be without spending a dime on another device. I just posted in case there was some secret setting that allows it that I was not finding. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2015 5:01 PM in response to ldavisfl

ldavisfl wrote:

While I appreciate the suggestion to consider a BT headset, it doesn't really address my question so it's kind of random.

No, it's not random. It is a workaround for one scenario you proposed. Like all advice given here, you're free to ignore it.

Any ideas why Apple has blocked this feature on an iphone, considering they coded for it on the ipad?

Only Apple would know the answer to that and they don't answer that sort of question here. Sorry.

Best of luck.

using iphone upside down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.