Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery goes down for no reason

I fully charged my ipad yesterday and in the morning it said 100% full. I didn't use my ipad for about 4 hours and when I picked it up afterwards I saw that the battery level had dropped to 32%. Any idea what caused the sudden drop? This rarely happens. My ipad battery has lasted better on days that I used it constantly.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 2:41 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Dorian O.

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPad and charge overnight. Do NOT use an iPod/iPhone charger. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

Mar 1, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Let me put it this way. When the battery works as normal I know how long that is. So it's obvious to me when the battery percentage drops significantly and not lasting the day. I don't think the car example was the best way to compare this. The percentage gage on any apply device should be a good indication as to how much usage time they have left. Again as I said, I know this is not normal because this never happens and my iPad doesnt usually turn off so early.

As mentioned in the post, I was not using the iPad for 4 hours and I saw it dropped 70%+.

Mar 1, 2015 5:54 PM in response to Dorian O.

Check battery usage in the Settings app to determine what app or process is using up your battery.

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage

Give it a minute to list the apps that have used your battery.

If there doesn't seem to be a suspicious app or process there, charge your iPad and turn it off for the night. I do not mean let it sleep, hold the power button until the Slide to Power Off appears and slide to power off. If the battery has drained over night your have a hardware failure. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support..

Battery goes down for no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.