Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use SSL certificates in OSX Server

I have setup OSX server with a host name that is pointed properly to my OSX server. My question is about using certificates that were purchased through my domain registrar.

I bought a cert and after the validation process, I was given a link to download 4 certificate files.

AddTrustExternalCARoot.crt

DV_NetworkSolutionsDVServerCA2.crt

DV_USERTrustRSACertificationAuthority.crt

[domain name].crt

So after downloading these and opening them one by one, I installed them in the keychain as a system cert.

The part I cant figure out is how to use the domain cert instead of the one that the server creates upon completion of setup (the self signed one).

On the certificate selection in the sidebar, I can choose Import a certificate identity, but when I drag my domain cert into the box, it shows up as a non-identity cert and the Import button is still grayed out. I dragged all four certs there and all of them show as non-identity certs.

If I go down the path of the Get a Trusted Certificate, it takes me through the CSR request which I dont think I need since i have my certificates already.

Am I missing a step? Or do I need to export from the keychain, then import into the server application? Seems like the new certificates should show up in the server application. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 8:29 PM

I got the answer and wanted to post for anyone that happened to have this question.

During the SSL cert setup, it asks where your domain is hosted and since it was hosted by Network Solutions, I chose that option which doesnt do the CSR request. I had to choose Other/VPS.

Once I did that, I was able to generate a CSR in the server application and get my certificate issued again by pasting the request code on my registrars website. Once I received those certs, I dragged my domain cert into the Pending one listed in the certificate list.

Also I chose Apache/ModSSL as the type of server. Hope that helps and new people like myself in setting up the server application.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 8:29 PM in response to knottymars

I got the answer and wanted to post for anyone that happened to have this question.

During the SSL cert setup, it asks where your domain is hosted and since it was hosted by Network Solutions, I chose that option which doesnt do the CSR request. I had to choose Other/VPS.

Once I did that, I was able to generate a CSR in the server application and get my certificate issued again by pasting the request code on my registrars website. Once I received those certs, I dragged my domain cert into the Pending one listed in the certificate list.

Also I chose Apache/ModSSL as the type of server. Hope that helps and new people like myself in setting up the server application.

How to use SSL certificates in OSX Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.