Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp cannot install GPT style partition - MBPro

Hi Loner, so I'm on a MacbookPro 9,1, late mid 2012 model i believe.

I've got 2 hard drives in my computer. I'd like to split one of the drives into 2 partitions. One side bootcamped windows 7. the other side just for empty storage. It is a 750GB drive. The drive is completely empty currently.

Here is the out of the commands you told me to enter:

diskutil list

User uploaded file

diskutil cs list

User uploaded file

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

User uploaded file

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 7:20 PM

7 replies

Mar 1, 2015 8:19 PM in response to frankywashere

This is what I would suggest.

1. Erase disk1. It currently has a NTFS partition and a HFS partition. Make it a MBR only disk by formatting it as a FAT32 disk.

2. Use BCA to carve out a Windows partition from this disk of the size you want. The remainder will stay FAT.

3. Install Windows on this partition. Once you have Windows functional, you can leave the second part as FAT, if you want it shared between OS X and Windows. For Windows exclusive news, convert it to NTFS. It can still be read by OS X.

If you run into any issues, please see Mac Pro specific parts in Frequently Asked Questions about installing Windows 7 with Boot Camp - Apple Support.

If you have partitioning problems, post back.

Even though you do not have a Fusion drive, you have two disks and one is a CoreStorage volume (used to support a Fusion drive also), so you may want to look at Macs with Fusion drive: How to find BOOTCAMP partition in Windows installer - Apple Support.

Mar 2, 2015 4:10 AM in response to frankywashere

This screen does not seem correct. If Disk1 is the 750GB drive, why is the size of Disk1 Partition 1 about 1200GB and you have Disk1 Partition 2 as 197GB. Is this the correct drive for Windows. OS X can re-number disks dynamically, so disk0 and disk1 may be in different order, but the designated Windows disk should be the 750GB disk. Do you have any external storage connected to the MP? If yes, please disconnect it and try again.

bootcamp cannot install GPT style partition - MBPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.