Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Yosemite Firevault Harddrive problem

Hi guys,

Decided to to update my Mac today to Yosemite, went through the whole installation then stupidly agreed to accepting Firevault. After I turned the Mac off, I went to restart it and it wouldn't load.

I got to the login page where my account would now say update required... After reading the forums I found that if I went to disk utility in recovery mode I would be able to turn off the encryption, so I tried that, entered my password and nothing happened. It came up with an error message saying it couldnt turn off the encryption.

After this I tried verifying the disk and repairing it. It came up with another error stating the disk cannot be repaired. So I shut the Mac down, put it back into recovery and attempt to access the hd again, entered the password and now every time I try to access it, it doesn't let me in, it just freezes and ignored the password attempt.

In an ideal world I wouldve backed up the hd with time machine, but unfortunely I haven't. Is it possible to somehow make a back up or at least transfer over my files from this corrupt hard drive even though it is encrypted?

Is there anything I can do from terminal (whislt in recovery)?

I'd appreciate anyone's help on this matter, I can't afford to lose my documents and data from this hard drive.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2011 build

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:23 PM

There are no replies.

MacBook Yosemite Firevault Harddrive problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.