Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export albums to Faces and Places

My photo library contains approximately 45,000 photos. Of those, I wish to send 100-200 to my sister. They've all been tagged with Faces and Places. We both have iPhoto 9.6. The option to burn directly to disk is gone. Other than exporting them and losing Faces and Places, what are my options? For that matter, what if I just wanted to move them to another library on my own computer?

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:39 PM

Exporting does not lose places if you check the include location information box - Exporting From iPhoto

There is not way to include faces except to duplicate the library and delete the photos you do not want to share and send the small library to her

You can add Keywords for faces and include them in the export - then she can easily add them back

To move them to another library on your computer you need the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - or Aperture

LN

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2015 4:39 PM in response to mpolda

Exporting does not lose places if you check the include location information box - Exporting From iPhoto

There is not way to include faces except to duplicate the library and delete the photos you do not want to share and send the small library to her

You can add Keywords for faces and include them in the export - then she can easily add them back

To move them to another library on your computer you need the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - or Aperture

LN

Mar 2, 2015 4:33 PM in response to mpolda

Yes, this option is gone in iPhoto '11. iPhoto '11 requires write access on a disk, where an iPhoto Library is stored, otherwise it cannot open the library, and that is not possible on a DVD/CD.

If you want to share a partial iPhoto library, you could create a copy of the library, delete all events you do not need from the copy and then copy the library to a thumbs drive, and send that to your sister.

Or use iPhoto Library Manager to create a partial library, as Larry suggested.

Or simply use "File > Export > Versions" to write a folder with the selected photos. The jpegs will preserve the places and faces, if you enable it on export.

Mar 2, 2015 4:41 PM in response to mpolda

You used to be able to burn selected photos to disk as an iPhoto library. That functionality is gone, right?

Right. So now you have two ways to do what you want:

Method #1

1. in your current library display all photos that have faces assigned.
  2. select them and create a new album called "Faces"
  3. create a new, empty library titled Faces Library.
  4. use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to copy the Faces album from your current library to the Faces library. Each photo will end up in the same event that it was in originally as well as including the keywords, titles, etc.
  5. copy the Faces library to a CD or DVD disk by dragging the library onto an empty disk and burning.

Method #2

1. in your current library display all photos that have faces assigned.
  2. assign a unique keyword "XXXX" to all of those photos.
  3. create a new Smart Album titled "To be deleted" with the criteria Keyword is not "XXXX.
  4. duplicate the library and rename the duplicate "Faces Library"
  5. open the Faces library.
  6. open the "To be deleted" smart album and delete the photos in batches of 100-200 at a time by selecting and using the key combination of Shift+Command+Delete to move them to the iPhoto Trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin.
  7. copy the Faces library to a CD or DVD disk by dragging the library onto an empty disk and burning.

Each of these methods will create a library with the Faces feature incorporated as it was in the original library.

Your sister an use the paid version of iPLM to copy the photos from the Faces library into her library and have them in the Faces section.

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2015 4:30 PM in response to léonie

I don't see anything under File > Export called Versions. Also this wouldn't preserve Faces as they aren't included in the EXIF data, although location is when you check that box. Making a copy of a 425Gb file then deleting 420Gb of it isn't really something I want to do. Besides, I'm not sure how she'd import them into her library. It's frustrating when Apple doesn't just work. This shouldn't be difficult. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Export albums to Faces and Places

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.