Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV3 AirPlay Issue

Hello everyone.

Just purchased an ATV3 about a month ago and have been mostly enjoying AirPlay mirroring.... but I have a problem.

Firstly, these are the Apple products in my home: ATV3, MBP 2012, MBA 2012, MacMini 2012, and an iPhone 6.

The 2 MacBooks and the iPhone are in the same area as the ATV3 and the ATV/MBA are on 2.4GHz while the MBP/iP6 is on 5GHz wifi. The Mini is in another part of the house with IR receiver and wifi turned OFF and is connected via ethernet. I have done all updates on all Apple products and the ATV3 has also been restored (after updates) in an attempt to figure this out. I have also made sure that all Home Sharing options have been shut off on ALL Apple items. I have verified the local wifi activity on both 2.4 and 5GHz to make sure I am on channels not being used by others in the area. The MBA/ATV3 are showing max signal in my router (5 bars).

Here is what is happening and it is 100% consistent.

My wife will be using AirPlay mirroring on her MBA in the bedroom. I will be in another part of the house on the hardwired Mini. If I pull up Youtube on any computer in the house, including the ethernet connected Mini, she immediately loses mirroring to the ATV causing the ATV menu to be shown on the TV. On her MBA, the stream continues but the only way she can reconnect to the ATV is to completely reboot her MBA. She cannot simply press the AirPlay icon and reconnect- she MUST reboot since the AirPlay icon still shows her to be mirroring to the ATV. There may or may not be other sites that cause this loss of communication but YouTube creates this problem 100% of the time. Oh, and when this happens, I can hear the Youtube sound from the TV even though I am seeing the Apple menu and NOT connected with AirPlay in any way.

I am a fan of Apple products. I went with the ATV3 thinking it would make things easier since I live in a Mac environment- I am now starting to seriously question this move. This product is useless to me if I cannot use another Mac while the wife is using AirPlay mirroring to the ATV3. Yes, I know I can stay off YouTube during mirroring but I expect to be able to use another computer in any way I wish while the ATV is being used, especially one that isn't on wifi.

Anybody have any suggestions on what is going on and how to resolve it?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2015 11:56 PM

I have never regretted an Apple purchase, until now.

The previously found problem pales in comparison to the most recent issue. I had decided to avoid YouTube while the wife is mirroring to the ATV3 and all would be well. WRONG! Apparently, I can't watch or listen to iTunes any time she is streaming to the ATV3 either. This is unacceptable.

I am very happy with all of my other Apple products but I feel that I was duped on this purchase. I figured it would just work, and it does, as long as I don't touch any other Apple product I own while this thing is mirroring.

Time to sell it at a loss and find a cheap mini pc to handle my streaming needs. Color me disappointed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2015 11:56 PM in response to SirMilo

I have never regretted an Apple purchase, until now.

The previously found problem pales in comparison to the most recent issue. I had decided to avoid YouTube while the wife is mirroring to the ATV3 and all would be well. WRONG! Apparently, I can't watch or listen to iTunes any time she is streaming to the ATV3 either. This is unacceptable.

I am very happy with all of my other Apple products but I feel that I was duped on this purchase. I figured it would just work, and it does, as long as I don't touch any other Apple product I own while this thing is mirroring.

Time to sell it at a loss and find a cheap mini pc to handle my streaming needs. Color me disappointed.

Apple TV3 AirPlay Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.