Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing noise from video (not audio)

I have old GoPro Hero2 cameras and I'm not yet prepared to buy new ones.

I prefer the narrow view, but when I use it, naturally the noise level ramps way up. Any FCPx tools, apps, etc out there to reduce noise or techniques to minimize it? I'm running it at 1080 30p. Dropping to 720 in the camera eliminates the narrow option. Tried it.

I know, I can get one with a 4K sensor that doesn't have this problem at 1080p, but that's a chunk of change to replace my existing ones.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 5:25 PM

22 replies

Mar 1, 2015 5:50 PM in response to xfggfx

Even at high noon on a sunny day, the sensor will produce noise at the narrow view as the amount of sensor being used is reduced to fit the narrow view. The narrowing of the field is done, not optically but digitally. It has the same effect as when using digital zoom. The camera then takes this low quality result and still expands it to 1080. The result is a load of sensor noise.

At wide view using the full sensor, the noise level is low.

In still photography there are noise reduction tools -- just wondering if they exist for video.

Mar 1, 2015 7:24 PM in response to Hooked4lifeca

You can try an old photoshop trick: duplicate the clips so that the copy is directly over the original. Apply a Blur > Gaussian to the top "layer" and set the Compositing Blend Mode to Overlay or Hard Light and the Opacity to about 60-75%. Adjust the blur amount to smooth out the artifacts. If the saturation becomes too strong, group the clips in a compound clip and color correct.

Mar 2, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Hooked4lifeca

… most of my videos are instructional in nature

But then I have to ask, how come your recordings are noisy?

'Instructional' means für me, it's YOUR decision, when to record.

Or do you teach ninjas...? 😉

(then, your nic gets a complete new spin... sorry, corny humor of mine)

Speaking of lighting - those LED flooders are not bad, e.g. from Yungnuo << amazon link, and they run on batteries!

My smaller light (300LEDs) runs with 6 AA batteries more than 2h! Compared to old tungsten lights, those LEDS are light, robust, really bright ....

Meanwhile you get LED lights with a CRI >95.... ok, not for the price mentioned in the link above 😁

Meant as a suggestion.........

Mar 2, 2015 5:55 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

The old GoPros are noisy in narrow view even in great light as the narrow view is in effect a digital zoom. In lower light they're much worse while in narrow view.

I'm a pro fly fisherman and I represent four companies. My videos range from fly tying instruction, to promotional videos for fishing tackle, fishing and casting instruction, plus video for electronic fishing magazines. Usually the GoPro footage is used just to provide a few seconds of an example of a fishing situation. My other cameras produce good quality HD footage, so when I cut away to a GoPro set to narrow view, I don't want a too noticeable drop off in video quality.

Mar 2, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Hooked4lifeca

Hooked4lifeca wrote:

The old GoPros are noisy in narrow view even in great light as the narrow view is in effect a digital zoom. …

ah, now I see.Yep, Digital Zoom is a NoGo! And not 'noise' can be real 'blocks'.

'cause, GoPros are famous for super-'crisp' pictures, even too sharp.

But why zoom? Get closer … 😝

Or use a cam with higher resolution, my latest toy is a Lumix FZ1000 - 4k.

You can zoom in/re-frame by 400% and it still looks good.

Hooked4lifeca wrote:

I'm a pro fly fisherman …

What a job!!! 😀

When I'm alone at home, I like to watch Jeremy Wade/River Monsters (hilarious title) - I don't angle, but I can watch for hours...

And Mr Wade or the guys from Deadliest Catch use excessively GoPros - but very. very close to subject.

Are your videos avail on YT, Vimeo, etc...?

Mar 2, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

In most cases the wide view is simply too wide and as a consequence the subject is too small even when just a few feet away. My working distances are often fixed by the mechanics of casting and fishing so getting closer is often not an option. As an example, showing running line hitting and tangling in the first stripper guide of the rod, shot in wide view from a chest mounted GoPro, will barely be visible in unless shown full screen.

Wade's subjects on the other hand are huge. 😉

Mar 2, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Ya, it's a rotten job, but somebody has to do it. I have a few videos up on YT at the moment. The old ones are pretty pathetic as I was still learning which end of the camera to point at the subject. My biggest challenge in shooting these videos? I'm usually by myself and it can be quite the challenge being simultaneously the director, the cameraman, the audio tech, the script writer and the actor.

Here's a recent fly tying video: http://youtu.be/4Fpz081jKsA

Removing noise from video (not audio)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.