Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

permission denied when trying to delete ipad photos using pc

I am unable to delete photo from the ipad Internal Storage directory when the ipad is connected to my laptop.

I synced and backed up iPad 2 with my windows 7 laptop. I successfully copied photos from ipad to My Pictures directory on my laptop.

I then attempted to delete a photo from the ipad Internal Storage directory on my laptop. When I clicked the 'Delete' button 3 popups rendered:

1st Popup "Confirm File Delete' asking for confirmation that I wanted to permanently delete the file, I clicked 'Yes' and the next 2 popups rendered.

2nd Popup 'Error Deleting File' rendered with the following message "IMG_2001 could not be deleted. You do not have permission to delete this item." Three buttons displayed 'Skip', 'Skip All', 'Cancel.'

3rd Popup 'Deleting...'

I clicked 'Skip' in the 2nd popup and it closed and triggered the 3rd popup to complete ie . the green progress bar completed and the popup closed.

I tried deleting several photos and got the same error. I tried to delete and an ipad photo directory from the Internal Storage directory on my laptop. The error message this time was

"<filename> could not be deleted. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

This message is incorrect because the ipad is still connected. I can see my ipad and Internal storage folders on my laptop after refreshing Windows Explorer and the ipad device is still visible in iTunes.

Not all my of my ipad photos are stored in iCloud and I don't want to delete all of them from my ipad, just a selection.

In previous IOS versions I have successfully deleted photos from my ipad directories on my laptop.

Please advise a workaround for my issue or advise when this problem will be rectified.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3, laptop has windows 7

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 6:38 PM

1 reply

permission denied when trying to delete ipad photos using pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.