Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S frequently asks for SIM card to be inserted-Must restart each time

My iPhone 5s frequently asks for "SIM card to be inserted", and I must restart phone to remove message and use phone.

I read about 17 pages of similar problem with iPhone 4, which doesn't have a SIM card the users say.

Major problem with iPhone 4, is this a problem with iPhone 5S?

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:01 AM

Hello Ken,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

The following article addresses the 'no SIM' alert message on the iPhone.

If you see 'No SIM' alert on iPhone - Apple Support

Regards,
Jeff D.

4 replies

Mar 3, 2015 4:49 PM in response to ken1316

ken1316 wrote:

Thanks, Jeffd55. I have been restoring my iPhone 5s using that technique (turn off, turn back on); however, I was wondering if there was a permanent fix or if Apple had "fixed" that particular problem.

The permanent fix is hardware. Remove the SIM and clean its contacts. A pink pencil eraser is the ideal tool for this. But make sure to get all of the rubber debris off it. If this doesn't fix it get a replacement SIM from your carrier. And if that doesn't fix it there's probably a damaged or worn contact in the SIM slot.

Mar 6, 2015 7:29 PM in response to ken1316

jeffd55, I appreciate your answer. I have worked with electronic boards before and using an eraser on the contacts was almost always successful. I just never thought about trying that procedure and now after 3 days I have not had one incident where my iPhone 5s gave me the message: "No SIM card, insert SIM card". Using the eraser to clean the contacts was successful. Thanks again.

iPhone 5S frequently asks for SIM card to be inserted-Must restart each time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.