Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded my 2009 iMac from Mavericks to Yosemite The only photos left after the upgrade were my last downloads.

I upgraded my 2009 iMac from Mavericks to Yosemite thinking that would make it easier to copy my photos onto my new Retina 5k.

The only photos left after the upgrade were my last downloads. (Maybe they synced from the new iMac?)

Apple support helped me to go into Time Machine and copy an earlier library but that only contained the photos. How can I restore my library intact with all the albums, face recognition, slideshows (including music selections) and keywords please? Is there an easy way to then transfer all that to my new iMac?

I tried to connect the two computers and then drag files from one to the other and I since found out you are not supposed to do that.

My intention initially was to not copy the entire library but it looks like Yosemite makes that very complicated.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 8:59 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 10:58 PM in response to Bikebiddy

To move an iPhoto Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

I upgraded my 2009 iMac from Mavericks to Yosemite The only photos left after the upgrade were my last downloads.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.