Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iPad 2 running iOS 8. The email app is not working. The screen shows empty email box, then closes on its own. I have tried closing the app, turning ipad on and off and reset to no avail. Any other ideas? Thanks.

I Have an iPad 2 running iOS 8. When I open email, the email isn't there. I have tried closing the app, turning off the ipad and resetting the iPad. None of that helps. Any ideas? Thanks.

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:19 AM

Try doing the reset or force quitting the mail app

Reset

Hold down the sleep and home keys for about 20 seconds. When you see the silver apple, let go and let it reboot. No data will be lost.

Force close an app

Double tap the home button. When you see the app previews on the screen scroll sideways if needed to get the preview in question on the screen. Flick that preview up and off the screen to close the app. Single tap the home button or home screen preview to exit the mode.

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 4:19 AM in response to eileen@@

Try doing the reset or force quitting the mail app

Reset

Hold down the sleep and home keys for about 20 seconds. When you see the silver apple, let go and let it reboot. No data will be lost.

Force close an app

Double tap the home button. When you see the app previews on the screen scroll sideways if needed to get the preview in question on the screen. Flick that preview up and off the screen to close the app. Single tap the home button or home screen preview to exit the mode.

Mar 2, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Skydiver119

I did all the things skydiver suggested; didn't help. It's very odd -- when I open email app, I see the usual template (for lack of a better term) but no content. After a short time, it goes translucent. The lettering at the top is black and i can see the screen background picture. That's what I see when I go to app previews too.

I cannot delete the apple email app, can I? Do you mean I should remove the connection to my email accounts then reinstall them? That is what I am thinking of trying next.

Mar 3, 2015 1:30 PM in response to eileen@@

So the app is opening to a white screen then closing on its own? If you have deleted your email accounts & the app is still crashing then I would try resetting all settings (without deleting data).

Did you reboot the iPad after removing the email accounts? If not, try that first holding the home & sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until the apple logo appears, then release & once booted back up, try opening the mail app again.

The problem may have started because one of your email messages might have been corrupt or had a corrupt attachment. If you can access it from a computer, sign into your email & see if there are any that can't be opened or produce errors opening. If so, delete the offending emails then try adding the account back to the iPad.

Mar 4, 2015 3:22 AM in response to eileen@@

My iPad 2 is doing exactly the same. It started on March 2nd when Yahoo went down mid email. I can't get it to work even though I have now deleted the sent email from Yahoo and followed the reset on my iPad. I know it is the app as I have another email account and doesn't work either

All other functions work fine.

Help!

Mar 4, 2015 6:27 AM in response to RobDurn

So strange, my iPad email app crashed this morning (opened then abruptly closed) but I was able to get back into it by swiping up the dark translucent window (crashed email app) then reopening. My default email is gmail. I am wondering if there is a problem with syncing with the servers. I have since been going through my emails & cleaning them up then emptying the trash.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Mar 4, 2015 7:52 PM in response to RobDurn

I'm sorry you've had no luck. I spent the day deleting & organizing emails on my iPad & I haven't had the problem since. I did notice that not all of my gmails had been downloaded & there were many going several years back. Once I cleaned everything up, my email opened much faster & my whole iPad seemed to speed up. I know when you add back an email account, it can take quite a while for all the emails to load. Apple support doesn't monitor this forum but you can contact them & file a report explaining your problem. You could also use another mail app in place of Apple's until your issue is solved.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I have an iPad 2 running iOS 8. The email app is not working. The screen shows empty email box, then closes on its own. I have tried closing the app, turning ipad on and off and reset to no avail. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.