Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri won't recognize certain words

I tried to create a reminder today for a Parents evening I had to attend .

I used Siri as usual and when asked what the reminder was for I said "parents evening". The two words came up but the reminder just said "parents"

I tried it again and the same happened so I tried "Parents Night" but the same thing happened.I then tried to just create a reminder for "evening" The word came up but Siri asked what I wanted to be reminded about again so I tried "night" and the same thing happened. I have tried on a 5s and a 6 both running the latest IOS anyone got any answers ?.Is there certain words you can't use

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 12:56 AM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Simcro1

Reminders uses data detectors to automatically convert text, or speech via Siri, that refers to date and time into a scheduled date and time (i.e. Today, 6:00 PM). There is no option to turn data detectors off.

However, you can use a word that they do recognize to schedule a time of day after the word "evening". Depending upon the time of day the reminder is made it will either be scheduled for today, or tomorrow if the time of day has already passed.

Spoken lines and the results:

remember parents evening morning

Parents evening

Today, 7:00 AM

remember parents evening noon

Parents evening

Today, 12:00 PM

remember parents evening evening

Parents evening

Today, 6:00 PM

remember parents evening night

Parents evening

Today, 7:00 PM

remember parents evening midnight

Parents evening

Tomorrow, 12:00 AM

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apple Data Detectors

Siri won't recognize certain words

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.