Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine "can't find backup", multiple machines

Hello,

I am trying to create a setup on 1 imac for a computer lab. My plan is to use time machine to take all the settings on that #1 and restore it to all the machines in the lab. I am using a USB 3 external HDD. We are running Mavericks in the lab.

Problem 1

The first machine I tried to restore, it says that "can't find a Time Machine backup". Yet, when I option click on the time machine icon and say browse other disks, it shows up. I can even get into Time Machine itself. But all the backups are "greyed out" and I can't access imac #1 backup.

Problem 2

I thought maybe because problem 1 was being backed up on a partitioned drive, so I took out all partitions, reformatted the drive and made a backup of iMac #1. I brought it to #2 and still the same problem. But now it seems all the settings are gone and neither #1 or #2 can login.

I have started rebuilding #1 again from scratch. But it seems that Time Machine is not cooperating or I don't fully understand how it works? From what I read, doing a backup across multiple machines is allowed?

This was so much easier on Norton Ghost. I have tried Carbon Copy Cloner and there are a few glitches on it, so it seems like TM is the most straightforward one, but it won't do a proper restore.

Thanks for your help.

Elvin

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 11:33 PM

1 reply

Time machine "can't find backup", multiple machines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.