Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed.

Hey.

So for the last couple of months my iPhone 5s has been refusing to connect with iTunes. It will connect to my windows computer and start charging, but then the error message comes up saying "this iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again." I have quite literally done everything to try and fix this e.g. Uninstall iTunes completely in a specific order, using a different cable and USB port, install drivers again etc. I think i have read every single forum on the internet but with no answer.

It is probably worth noting that for some reason Apple Mobile Device Support is not under my Programs and Features. If anyone has this issue or has an answer it will be very helpful.

Thank you.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 10:28 PM

8 replies

Mar 3, 2015 7:05 AM in response to Alex_Sawyer

Good morning Alex,

It sounds like the Apple Mobile Device Service may be part of the issue. Security software on the PC can affect the iTunes installation as well.

Take a look at the article below for steps to address the issue of your iPhone not connecting to iTunes.

How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203188

Regards,

Judy

Mar 3, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Alex_Sawyer

Hi Alex,

I think the error you are getting is that your computer either does not have iTunes installed, or that it needs to be uninstalled and then installed using the latest version from Apple.com. Make sure your computer has the software. You should be able to open iTunes on your computer without the iPhone connected to it by clicking its desktop icon. FYI: I do have the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) software on my computer (Windows) and it shows in my Programs and Features.

There was a fix some time back when iTunes failed to launch properly. It involved the following steps:

Check your DOWNLOADS folder for iTunesSetup.exe and delete it if it is older than a month or two. Download fresh from Apple.com the latest version of iTunesSetup.exe but delay installing it. Then....

Go into your "Uninstall a Program" in Control Panel. Uninstall iTunes. Uninstall Apple Application Support.
(From this point on until we reinstall Apple Application Support, neither QuickTime nor Safari 4.0.4 will be able to run.)

Next we'll remove any leftover program files and folders.
(1) Open "Local Disk (C:)" or whichever drive your program files are stored on.
(2) Open the "Program Files" folder.
(3) Right-click on the iTunes folder (if it still exists) and select "Delete".
(4) Open the "Common files" folder.
(5) Open the "Apple" folder.
(6) Right-click on the Apple Application Support folder (if it still exists) and select "Delete".

Now empty your Recycle Bin and restart the PC.

****Reinstall Phase****

After the PC restarts, do not open any other applications. Disconnect from your network and/or the internet. Switch off all your security software (firewall, antivirus and antispyware).

Now start the install by doubleclicking the iTunesSetup.exe file you downloaded earlier. It should be in your DOWNLOAD folder. Let it install a shortcut icon to your desktop.

Reenable all security software prior to reconnecting to your network and/or the internet.

Did the install seem to go through okay? If so, does iTunes start launching properly again when you start it from the desktop icon?

You will also need to create an Apple I.D, if you haven't already, if you plan to download any of the Apps from the App Store or any music from iTunes Store, or use the backup feature of iTunes. You can do that most directly at apple.com.

Good luck

Mar 3, 2015 10:34 PM in response to Alex_Sawyer

Alex,

Is your computer OS a 32-bit or 64-bit version? You should have seen a dialog box telling you you have the wrong version if there is a mismatch there, but I said should..

The only thing I can think of that is blocking the install would be that there is still part of the original install on your computer. If you did the set in order and deleted your recycle bin before attempting to reinstall, I would think that would be sufficient to clear the way. However, if you will go back through the steps again and after you've cleaned it out, do a restart before doing the re-install.

This time, however, leave your protections and anti-virus systems ON so you can go ahead and connect to the Internet when you do the re-install.

If it fails this time to install, it must be hosed up and a firsthand tech will be needed to straighten it out. I don't think Judy's suggestion to try to restart the mobile device support will do you any good until you get that installed and it's part of the iTunes installer file anyway.

I'm at a loss. I apologize for lack of success with it.

Mar 4, 2015 10:32 PM in response to judysings

Hi Alex, I think Judy is onto the best way to go... kinda parallels what I posted earlier but in more of a "Microsoft" procedure. The links Judy mentioned that are included from Apple Support may help you clean out the fragments of earlier install attempts. There is one thing that should be emphasized: After removal, and especially after deletion of the stray folders and files that may be left behind, you must empty your recycle bin before attempting re-installation.

I'm tapped but not out so I'll bow out at this time and come back in a few days to see if you get it resolved. I would like to know what it takes to solve the problem for future reference.

Good luck

This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.