Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new i5 vs old i7

Straight forward question re: iMac

Which is more robust for audio/video/3d rendering?

A brand new 2015: 27-inch: 3.4GHz

• 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory

or a

Mid 2011: 27-inch: 3.4GHz

• 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive1
  • Radeon HD 6970M Video with 2048 MB RAM

Why did Apple drop the i7 iMac?

iMac

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 10:47 PM

6 replies

Mar 2, 2015 11:45 AM in response to dchapple99

dchapple99,

Frankly I think you are barking up the wrong tree looking at CPU's, what you should be looking at is upgrading the storage options. Go with either a Fusion drive (available 2012 and later) or with a SSD. The primary bottle neck on current computers is not the CPU or GPUs it's the storage options. Using spinning HD's is 1960's technology, SSD's and Fusion drives are much much faster.

Mar 2, 2015 2:12 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

dchapple99,

Frankly I think you are barking up the wrong tree looking at CPU's, what you should be looking at is upgrading the storage options. Go with either a Fusion drive (available 2012 and later) or with a SSD. The primary bottle neck on current computers is not the CPU or GPUs it's the storage options. Using spinning HD's is 1960's technology, SSD's and Fusion drives are much much faster.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. The kind of work the OP has mentioned is way more processor intensive than anything else. Ram and the best processor he can afford is the right approach in my opinion. That said I still would avoid buying a 4 year old computer unless it' a steal of a deal.

new i5 vs old i7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.