Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset a disabled iPad Mini without Mac or iTunes

Hi all,

I am sure you will have heard this one before:

PROBLEM / SITUATION

Given my dad an iPad mini for his 75th birthday (silly me) - he tried to setup himself (silly him) - iPad is now disabled after wrong password was entered too many times (should've known)

He doesn't have a Mac or iTunes. Just the plain iPad.

There is no data on the iPad, so a complete reset would not be a problem

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR

- I can unlock it by using a Mac and connect via cable >> doesn't work for me as I am living far away and he doesn't have a Mac

- Can be done with iCloud and Find my iPhone >> doesn't work as the initial iPad setup wasn't finished properly and Find My iPhone wasn't setup

- Could potentially be done in an Apple Store >> would like to avoid this as the next one is far away

- Even if I push it to recovery mode, I need to hardwire it to a Mac >> no Mac

QUESTIONS

1 - Is there any way this can be done other than the ones above investigated

2 - if not, can use my Mac to set the iPad to recovery mode BUT NOT with my iTunes account, i.e. with the iCloud account that we setup for him

Thanks a lot for your experience! Really appreciate it!

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:33 AM

It will need to be connected to computer's iTunes (Mac or PC) in order to reset it back to factory defaults. Is there a neighbour or a nearby friend with a computer with iTunes that could he connect the iPad to and reset it.

Disabled device : Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

You can use your Mac, if you don't want any of the content from your Mac copying onto it then don't restore to any backup that's stored on the Mac's iTunes - or after resetting it you can do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings on the iPad to remove anything that might have been copied over onto it

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 4:33 AM in response to TomLom

It will need to be connected to computer's iTunes (Mac or PC) in order to reset it back to factory defaults. Is there a neighbour or a nearby friend with a computer with iTunes that could he connect the iPad to and reset it.

Disabled device : Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

You can use your Mac, if you don't want any of the content from your Mac copying onto it then don't restore to any backup that's stored on the Mac's iTunes - or after resetting it you can do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings on the iPad to remove anything that might have been copied over onto it

How to reset a disabled iPad Mini without Mac or iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.