Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete iTunes 12 and reinstall 11? 12 installed itself and updated a Library.

How do I delete iTunes 12?

I want to use iTunes 11 to access an older Library on its own Hard Disk Drive.

iTunes 12 installed itself, and the moment I opened it with one of my music Libraries, it updated the Library on that disks (and took forever—I have 27,000 tracks). (I thought I had automatic updates turned off. They are now! It has been listed at the App Store before this, but for some reason, this time it just installed at a Restart though I believe I never clicked on its Update button.)

I tried deleting 12, but it complains it is part of Mac OS! (I didn't really know this.)

I tried changing 12's permissions via Get Info, so I could Read & Write to the application. Nada. I also tried adding myself, and doing the same. Nothing.

And I tried to install iTunes 11.4 for OS X 10.6 after downloading it, but the install complained I had a newer version, and then quit.

It seems I am stuck with iTunes 12, and have no other options.

Sometimes Apple software *****. Whatever happened to Easy?

Help!

S.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Mid-2014 2.8Gi7Quad 16GBRAM 1TBSSD

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 1:25 AM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2015 3:29 AM in response to sadsongs

If you have a Time Machine backup or a clone from before the time you updated, you may be able to restore from there. The iTunes 11.4 download works only for Snow Leopard.

---| I want to use iTunes 11 to access an older Library on its own Hard Disk Drive.

If that library is an .xml file you can move it to your desktop and in iTunes you can choose Import Playlist and select the Library.xml file. That will give you all the playlists on the old library.

Mar 3, 2015 5:44 PM in response to sadsongs

sadsongs wrote:

iTunes 12 installed itself, and the moment I opened it with one of my music Libraries, it updated the Library on that disks (and took forever—I have 27,000 tracks).

Then you will also need to restore a backup of that library (iTunes library.itl) as you cannot open a library with an older version of iTunes.

How do I delete iTunes 12 and reinstall 11? 12 installed itself and updated a Library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.