Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple iphoto issues, missing preference file

I am running iphoto 9.6. on Yosemite on a MacBook pro.

Last week it started acting odd in terms of synching photos with my icloud stream, and being able to locate individual photo files -- they were very clearly visible in iphoto, but locating them on my hard drive became tricky. Then it froze completely and I rebuilt the library. It's working except if I want to attach a photo to an email it says "open iphoto to see photos in this list."

I followed all the steps in this article:OS X: If you can't see iPhoto images in other apps - Apple Support

but two strange things happened: I absolutely cannot locate the com.apple.iApps file using the steps listed. Also odd, when I try to do option-finder and launch the "go" menu as directed, this happens. (Same result no matter what folder name I type.)

User uploaded file

I also realized that when I did "show package contents" there are two files, library.iphoto and library6.iphoto. Is this the problem or are there supposed to be two? If not, which one do I delete without losing my photos?

User uploaded file

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:11 AM

10 replies

Mar 2, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Jennifer2413

It is on dropbox now,

I hope you have another backup copy of the library taken at that time that is stored somewhere local because there a very, high probability that when you download the library from Dropbox it will be corrupted and not work. There are NO online storage sites that can safely store an iPhoto library and give it back undamaged. The photos will still be there but not all of the organization you've put into the library.

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 1:56 PM in response to léonie

Still doesn't work.

But the .com.apple.iApps.plist file is still in the trash and it hasn't generated a new one. Does the trash actually have to be emptied for it to work?

This also leads to a larger, not-just-iphoto question. Lately, when I restart, like I just did now, I logout and restart and everything appears to quit but when it restarts, I don't get a reboot chime and it reopens to a desktop with open applications. Anyone know what could be causing that?

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Jennifer2413

Now I'm totally confused. Searching the phrase "iphoto," here's what I get. My iphoto library is where it should be, in my username/pictures but I also have an additional iphotolibrary.library file on dropbox, created yesterday. Are there also appear to be two other non-working iphoto libraries, dated 12/18/14 and 1/25/15? ? Help? I still can't link to individual files to attach to an email or whatever; I get the "you must open iphoto to have photos appear here" message.User uploaded file

Multiple iphoto issues, missing preference file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.