Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to completely deactivate lost devices (iphone & ipads)

Hi there,

I've got my iPhone 5 & iPad stolen. I did not register the iPhone 5's serial number on my Apple Support Profile though.

Is there a way to completely deactive these stolen devices so the thief can't resell and reuse my devices?

Please kindly advise, thank you!

iPhone 5

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 5:22 AM

4 replies

Mar 7, 2015 5:09 AM in response to mysteerieous

mysteerieous wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes - I've set up "Find My iPhone" on them, and I've also erased the devices. But does this mean that those devices are completely useless now? Or are they only wiped clean of the information, but are still usable?

If you leave them connected to your iCloud account, then anyone that tries to activate them to use them will encounter Activation Lock. The Activation Lock will require them to enter your Apple ID & password, and it will only give them a partial email address, like 'a•••••@icloud.com', for example. Unless they know or can guess that Apple ID & password, the device is not usable.

how to completely deactivate lost devices (iphone & ipads)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.