Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

videos deleted from photo library are still taking up space

I had 176 GB of videos that got stored in my Photo Library and my Mac was almost full. I copied all the videos to an external drive and then deleted them from "events" in the photo library. They are no longer findable on the Mac, but my storage still says I have 176 GB of movies on the HD. When I look at the Photo Library in Finder, it says it has 175.76 GB on it. How do I clear this space?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:50 AM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 8:50 AM in response to jboakland

Well my guess is that you tried to delete all that material at one go and that trashed the library database.

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

This should leave the videos behind in the old library but get the photos over.

videos deleted from photo library are still taking up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.