Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Home Button

Hello Everyone,

I have an iPad mini and the home button has stopped working.

It's completely unresponsive unless I press very hard on it with a fingernail

I've tried all the tricks suggested, but nothing works. So basically it's broken.

I bought the iPad in the UK on 28/01/2014 and it failed on 28/01/2015, so out of warranty by 1 month.

I am planning to visit the store I got it from (Apple Shop, Trafford Centre, Manchester) and - if they aren't sympathetic to a repair - I intend to refer to the UK Sale of Goods Act.

Has anyone had any success with this approach?

I feel pretty sick about the situation, because the iPad is in perfect condition and I wasn't warned about the potential frailty of this part of the tablet. I've worked out that it's failed after about 600 hours of normal use, which is pretty shabby.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 6:55 AM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Nougueirets

I am often wrong about things in the EU, but I thought the warranty over on your side of the pond was two years? Either way, best approach is to take the iPad to the store and be friendly and non-threatening...and make your case for why you feel it should be handled as a warranty item. There have been complaints on here about some of the London Apple stores, but that could also be the approach the people took in dealing with them.

Take it in and try, that is the best approach.

Mar 2, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Nougueirets

If the law allows for the warranty to be extended to two years in the UK, (which I beleive that it does) then I wouldn't worry about it. I would just make the appointment and go to the store and ask them to replace it. Besides, isn't this what you plan on doing anyway. Any anecdotal evidence that you get here in this support forum isn't going to carry any weight anyway.

IPad Home Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.