Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempts to partition main HDD fail

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a mid-2010 MBP. I am trying to create a partition of 50 GB to hold Yosemite OS X. However, when running Disk Utility an error comes up after verifying the disk 'Partition failed with the error: The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition.'

Trying any smaller size partition yields the same results. My HDD has the capacity of 500 GB and I am currently using around 420 GB in file storage so I know there is enough space to make this partition. Under the 'First Aid' tab I have both verified and repaired disk permissions, as well as verified the disk itself. This confirmed that I did not need to repair the disk.

Screenshots:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:35 AM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2015 7:17 AM in response to iovinomf

Try this. The screen shot didn't look right.

Creating a partition isn't hard. Restart with command - R held down and open Disk Utility.

Step 1 - select the top level hard drive.

Step 2 - select the Partition tab.

Step 3 - grab the //// to slide the partition up to make room for a new partition.

Step 4 - select the vacant space and hit the + sign.

Step 5- Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and add a name.

Step 5a, click and select GUID.

Then Apply.

User uploaded file

Attempts to partition main HDD fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.