Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I view content of iPad backup in iTunes like photographs

I am very new to this. I do not use iTunes for music or movie content. I have downloaded it to my Windows based laptop to sync content from my iPad mini. Specifically I do not want to lose iMessages and of course, Photographs. My question is how can I find and transfer the pictures from my iPad camera roll in iTunes and store them in a folder in My Pictures on my laptop? iTunes does not seem very intuitive to me. When I was in the Optus shop recently the guy showed me his iTunes on his computer and he had lots of different folders, some had his photos in, I have synced but cannot see how to get to the folders to check if my photos are all there OK. Can someone please help? Please use simple English I am reasonably tech savvy but I am not of the tech savvy generation. (A baby boomer lol) Thanks much.

iPad, Operating system iOS 7 2nd update

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 8:10 AM

You should really extract your photos from the Camera Roll using Windows Explorer, or set up Photo Stream so they are copied to your computer automatically. There are third party tools that allow access to the contents of iOS device backup sets. This is just one of them: http://www.imactools.com/iphonebackupviewer/ I haven't personally tested it. There are Mac & Windows versions despite the url.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 8:10 AM in response to TopCat3

You should really extract your photos from the Camera Roll using Windows Explorer, or set up Photo Stream so they are copied to your computer automatically. There are third party tools that allow access to the contents of iOS device backup sets. This is just one of them: http://www.imactools.com/iphonebackupviewer/ I haven't personally tested it. There are Mac & Windows versions despite the url.

tt2

Mar 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you turingtest2. I actually have photostream and have synced to my computer from iPad as I went along however there are items in the camera roll I wanted to be sure I covered as photostream removes the earlier photos as it adds new ones due to a size limit (or something...) I have managed to work out how to do it now from an Apple help page. I am also checking out the link you gave me which might be useful for iMessages saving them to .pdf format because most only save to Excel or .txt files and are impossible to sort or read properly. Thanks again for your assistance.

How do I view content of iPad backup in iTunes like photographs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.