Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to wireless printer after changing router

I have used a printer (HP Photosmart Plus B210) wirelessly for some time, sending documents to print from both my Mac and iPad. Recently I changed router, and so reconnected my printer (wirelessly) to the new router. The iPad still works perfectly with the printer, but the Mac has stopped doing so. The Mac successfully "found" the printer when I entered the printer's IP address to connect them, but the Mac then states "Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to '[printer's IP address]' due to an error". It still gives the option to "create" the printer, but then when I try to print I get a "Printing - the Printer is in use" message (which is incorrect), this message stays indefinitely, and nothing prints. I've tried turning off and on, and also consulting the HP printer manual. If anyone can help, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:38 AM

8 replies

Mar 2, 2015 9:45 AM in response to martin(1973)

When you install a new Router, sometimes you change the range of addresses your network is using, (e.g., old Router used 10.10.0.1, new Router uses 192.168.2.1). Devices that use DHCP will adapt to their new IP Addresses immediately. Manual IP Addresses left over from the old subnet may appear to be sort-of reachable through the Router, but are not fully functional.

To interoperate freely and easily, your local computers and Printers should be on the same Subnet. The simple definition is their IP Addresses should be the same in the first three octets, and only the fourth octet will vary by device. Do not assign the last IP Address in the subnet (typically ending in .255) as that is reserved as a Broadcast Address.

So you need to be certain the IP Address of the Printer is on the same subnet as the new Router. If not, you will need to change the Printer's IP Address.

Cannot connect to wireless printer after changing router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.