Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone manufacture a Thunderbolt Male to Thunderbolt Female x2 connector?

I have a 2012 Mac Mini, with 1 Thunderbolt connection. I have a small recording studio that uses an Apollo Duo with 2 Thunderbolt connections. I also have a Lacie Hard drive with 1 Thunderbolt connection. I just bought another interface which also only has one Thunderbolt Connection. So, currently, My Mini is connected to the Apollo and then out of the Apollo to my Lacie HD. When my new interface arrives, I have no way to connect it. Is there any kind of splitter available? Can I splice 2 thunderbolt cables together? Can I use a Mini Display Port splitter to achieve this? I realize that Thunderbolt is designed to daisy chain, but obviously I can't do that in this situation.

Mac mini (Late 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:31 AM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Spanstar

No, A Thunderbolt cable is not functionally interchangeable with a mini displayport cable.

Does not the Lacie have two Thunderbolt ports? If not and the new device does not have two you are out of luck. All the Thunderbolt docks I have seen only have a total of two Thunderbolt ports

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-Thunderbolt2-Dock/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Elgato/10024020/

Mar 2, 2015 7:45 AM in response to lllaass

Like I said above, my Lacie only has 1 TB port. It *****, because I just bought this thing in Sept 2014. It has already been discontinued and replaced by ones that have 2 TB ports. If I would have anticipated or better understood what I was getting involved with, I would have assured that I only bought devices with 2 TB ports.

Mar 3, 2015 1:39 AM in response to Spanstar

Your only options are either to put the Lacie at the end of the chain - it does not have to be the first or middle device, or on the latest Mac mini you now have two Thunderbolt ports so the Lacie could go on one and anything else on the other.

I suppose another option is to get an empty Thunderbolt drive enclosure - one that does have two Thunderbolt ports and transfer the drive mechanism to it.

Does anyone manufacture a Thunderbolt Male to Thunderbolt Female x2 connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.