Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning the cd/dvd drives dust guard

The fabric/foam/plastic (whatever they are) flaps that protect the slot of the cd/dvd drive on my macbook pro 2012 have become stiff and will not let discs through with ease. I had a liquid (tea) spill the other day, so I have reason to believe that this is a result of that incident. If I clean it with warm water and a q-tip its fine for a time, but eventually reverts to being stiff again. Any tips for cleaning it? would rubbing alcohol work? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 5:03 AM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2015 7:41 AM in response to sarah.p

Hi sarah.p,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that the SuperDrive on your MacBook Pro is no longer accepting discs. Based on the detailed information you have provided, along with the information in the following article, it sounds like your MacBook may need to be serviced:

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201788

[...]

7. If the drive repeatedly does not accept discs, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store.

- Matt M.

Cleaning the cd/dvd drives dust guard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.