Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to extend my wifi network with time capsule but it can't find the existing wifi network

I'm trying to extend my wifi network with time capsule but it can't find the existing BT wifi network even though it is there with a good signal strength. The Time Capsule is connected to a Netgear router via ethernet.

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:08 AM

You would not use the "extend" setting with a 3rd party router, since that is only used when the Time Capsule is connected to another Apple wireless router using wireless.

You are connecting using Ethernet, so you would use the "create" a wireless network setting, assigning the same wireless network name, and wireless password that the Netgear network is using. Then, the signals from both the Netgear and Time Capsule will act as one large network.

If you are using a newer Mac, the setup "wizard" will do most of the setup work for you.

What operating system are you using on the device that is being used to set up the Time Capsule?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 10:08 AM in response to hercolo

You would not use the "extend" setting with a 3rd party router, since that is only used when the Time Capsule is connected to another Apple wireless router using wireless.

You are connecting using Ethernet, so you would use the "create" a wireless network setting, assigning the same wireless network name, and wireless password that the Netgear network is using. Then, the signals from both the Netgear and Time Capsule will act as one large network.

If you are using a newer Mac, the setup "wizard" will do most of the setup work for you.

What operating system are you using on the device that is being used to set up the Time Capsule?

Mar 2, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. Just so I understand correctly, I won't be able to use the Time Capsule to extend an existing BT WiFi network? I was hoping to do that, as well as use it to back up to. From what you say I can only do the latter.

I'm using Mavericks, and can connect and create a new WiFi network with it, but I'm concerned having two wifi networks when I only need one may be more hassle than it's worth.

Mar 2, 2015 10:12 AM in response to hercolo

Just so I understand correctly, I won't be able to use the Time Capsule to extend an existing BT WiFi network?

No, I did not say that. I said that you will need to use the "create a wireless network" setting if you want the Time Capsule to act to extend the Netgear network, and assign the same name and password that the Netgear router is using.

I'm using Mavericks, and can connect and create a new WiFi network with it, but I'm concerned having two wifi networks when I only need one may be more hassle than it's worth.

Check my edited post above.....and follow the instructions that I will post in 5-10 minutes from now.

Mar 2, 2015 10:21 AM in response to hercolo

You will need to start over on the setup of the Time Capsule as follows:

Disconnect any Ethernet cables that might be connected to the Time Capsule, but leave it powered on

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 8-10 seconds and release. The reset button is located next to the AC power socket.

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect the Ethernet cable from a LAN <--> port on the Netgear to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. The Ethernet cable must remain connected at all times.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a setting of New AirPort Base Station

Click on Time Capsule

The example below shows an AirPort Express. You will see Time Capsule on your screen.

User uploaded file

That will get the setup wizard going. It will take a minute to analyze the settings, then display a screen that looks like this, except you will see a picture of the Time Capsule

User uploaded file

Network Name..........Type in the exact name that the Netgear wireless is using

Base Station.............Type in a name that you want to call the Time Capsule. Use something short and simple. Mine is TC, for example

Password..................Type in the exact password that the Netgear wireless requires

Verify.........................Verify the Password again

Click Next

The setup wizard will configure everything for you automatically. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it. Now you have one big "extended" network. Technically, this is called a "roaming" network.

Mar 2, 2015 12:18 PM in response to hercolo

Restart the laptop and move it near the Time Capsule and log on to the wireless.

Hold down the option key on your Mac and click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for the BSSID and jot down the last few letters or numbers

The BSSID is the ID of the Time Capsule

Now move the laptop close to the Netgear router for a minute or two and do the same thing.

You should see a different BSSID....the ID of the Netgear

So, this tells you that your Mac.....depending on its location......is either picking up a signal from the Time Capsule, or from the Netgear.

Since you know the BSSID of the Time Capsule and Netgear, you can do the same thing with other Macs to see which device to which they are connected. Restart the other Macs before you do this though, to let them refresh.

May 27, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Hope you're still lurking on this board! The WiFi signal in my daughter's bedroom is weak, because our ethernetted Time Capsule is a few rooms away around a bend. Last month her new iPhone 5c (iOS 8.3) ate up a ton of cellular data because, I think, it was skipping right to the cell network instead of hooking into the WiFi, even in the middle of the night when she wasn't using it. (For the record, this was never a problem with her old 4s.) Her laptop is also laggy a lot of the time in there.

I'm thinking of getting an Airport Express to plug into the intermediary room to extend the network around the bend. Do you think this will help even if I can't connect the two via ethernet? And if it works in theory, is Airport Express the best device to get?

If not, is there anything you can suggest?

Thanks,

Joanne

May 27, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Jazzo49

Do you think this will help even if I can't connect the two via ethernet?

Yes. Locate the Express about half way to two thirds the distance from the Time Capsule to the bedroom.

is Airport Express the best device to get?

For your particular application, yes. If you are going to use a Mac laptop or desktop in the remote area extensively, and also wanted the best quality signal, then an AirPort Extreme would be the way to do.

Buy from Apple, and they will provide you with a 14 day exchange privilege on the Express. If you decide that the Express does not quite meet your needs, you could return it for the Extreme.

May 27, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Jazzo49

Everything in wireless involves a compromise. The signal in the bedroom will be stronger, and there may be the illusion that it is faster, but it will in fact be slower by a considerable amount....but still much faster than your Internet connection from your provider.

I didn't make the comment on the iPhone, but I would expect it to hold its wireless connection at lot better with the Express extending the signal.

The bottom line with wireless is always the same......you just won't know how well it will work in your home until you try it out in your home. If things don't work out, you have 14 days to return the product for exchange or a refund.

I'm trying to extend my wifi network with time capsule but it can't find the existing wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.