Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update 8.1.3 is 1.49gb

I waited a month to download the 8.1.3 update to my 16gb iPhone 5 to make sure it didn't introduce any new problems for others or was followed by another immediate update.

Today I clicked "download only" in iTunes on my Mac and to my surprise it's downloading a 1.49gb file. Every article I read about this update said the 8.1.3 download was between 136mb and 150mb depending on your phone.

The download window says "iPhone Software Update." My iPhone General app indicates the phone is currently 8.1.2.

WHAT am I downloading?

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:20 AM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2015 8:53 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Thanks for the information.

But it's still unclear to me why iTunes is downloading the entire thing since I have 8.1.2 installed and it "should" know that. I also have an iPad, and it also has 8.1.2.

The downloader indicated it was downloading an "update" not the entire iOS.

I'm sure there's an explanation for this behavior.

I wonder if I should install this 1.49gb file? I suppose I have to since I don't know how to get just the small update I need at this point.

Mar 2, 2015 9:10 AM in response to wilkie.joissaint

We live in a rural area with slow DSL and intermittent cellular connections.

OTA is not a viable alternative.

The key question is why Apple is sending me the entire OS when all I need (according to them, via constant nag screens) is an update from 8.1.2 to 8.1.3. I didn't turn the nags off because I thought if no one reported big problems with the update after 30 days, it would be good to go.

Logic would dictate that since they are sending me the entire OS that something's probably wonky on my phone or in iTunes or at Apple.

Will installing the entire OS be a good thing or will it lead to more problems?

Right now my phone is working perfectly fine so I'm inclined to not install it and wait for the next iteration to see what happens.

Update 8.1.3 is 1.49gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.