Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express prob

Plugged in my airport express to extend my wifi range, on any android device it shows as a wifi network and the device can connect. Any Apple device my phone or iPad its listed separately and says it needs configuration as software not supported ?!

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 6:45 AM

11 replies

Mar 2, 2015 7:06 AM in response to rrio66

Plugged in my airport express

Sorry, but I am not sure what this means. Does it mean that you "plugged in" your AirPort Express to your existing router using an Ethernet cable? Or, does "plugged in" mean that you are trying to connect to your existing router using a wireless connection?

my airport express

There are at least four different versions of the AirPort Express. We are not very good at guessing, so a model number would really help us here. Please look on the side of the device for the model number....hard to see....it starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

to extend my wifi range

What make and model number of wireless router is providing your existing wireless network signal at this time?

Mar 2, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

A1088, trying to use it to extend wifi connect to router. Used to work before latest software update, it doesn't show up as a wifi network but is listed on its own as an individual network that is not configured with this software? Android devices are working with it but not my iPad or iPhone :-( not impressed

router isnt the the issue as other devices connect as my phone used to.

Mar 2, 2015 8:58 AM in response to rrio66

Thanks for the information. You have several issues here.

The first is that the A1088 AirPort Express is a much older version of the product....8+ years and probably 10+.....so it has no setting to "extend a wireless network", which is a feature that Apple introduced on later models in 2008.

Next, even if you had a newer version of the Express, it is not compatible with other brands of routers for the "extend" feature. The Express will only extend a wireless signal that is being provided by another Apple AirPort router.

We asked what make and model of router you were using, but did not get an answer on that one, so we will guess that you have a 3rd party router.

Finally, the iPad and iPhone will work with newer A1264 and A1392 versions of the Express, but they will not be able to configure the older model that you have, which was discontinued in 2007.

It might be possible to set up the Express that you have, but it would require a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection to your main router.....and.....you will need an older Mac running the Leopard or Snow Leopard operating system to be able to configure the older Express model. A PC with AirPort Utility installed on the device would work as well.

Mar 2, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Bob Timmons

clearly the new software has now made my airport useless!! As I used it on the same router a nb6-ser-r2 at Christmas before my phone software was updated !

my nexus and Samsung are finding and connecting to it but not anything apple ... Ironic to say the least, i think the new software has rendered it not compatible ... Am sure you know that too again not impressed :-(

Mar 2, 2015 9:12 AM in response to rrio66

To summarize:- the router is connected into a network adapter, the receiving network adapter is wired to the airport in a remote part of the house and used to provide the wifi link to the Internet. It still works like this for the android devices but now my apple devices have the above message posted ! Clearly in my opinion the software update is now not allowing my previously connectable devices to connect..

Mar 2, 2015 9:23 AM in response to rrio66

Apple dropped support of the older AirPorts a few years ago.

As we said, you will need....or be able to borrow for a 10-15 minutes......a Mac or PC running an older version of AirPort Utility if you want to be able to set up and install your AirPort Express.

Once you locate the device that you will need, please post back if you need more help with the setup of the AirPort Express.

Mar 2, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I have run the airport utility which i had forgotten about on my "obsolete" macbook, shall seriously think again about what hard wear i buy if this is the long term support i shall receive on premium price products, great innovation let down by poor long term support as i last found out when my macbook was 7 years old and on its second hard drive ! a genius told me it was now obsolete too..seems to be all too common a reply :-(((

Anyway thanks for your attempted help

Mar 2, 2015 9:44 AM in response to rrio66

Not sure if you are aware that you posted on a user-to-user forum. We are all users here, just like you.

It is extremely unlikely that anyone from Apple will ever see your post, and even if they might, they will not respond here.

If you want to provide feedback to Apple, you can do so here: Apple - AirPort Express - Feedback

If you want to speak to someone at Apple, you can do so here: Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Our offer of help still stands, if you are having difficulty setting up the AirPort Express model that you have.

Airport express prob

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.