Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up a late 2013 MBP that has no video

I'm wanting to move my files off of a late 2013 MBP that has no video to a brand new iMac so I can take it to the Apple Store for repair. Can I erase the SSD on the striken MBP and place a fresh copy of the OS before turning it into the shop?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Quadra 800>Haswell

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 6:55 AM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Road Hazard

So this MBP is still under AppleCare?

Yes:

Ask Apple to pull the hard drive when you take it in for repair. If you do it it will void the warranty.

No:

Pull the SSD yourself:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

This isn't one that's under recall is it? Those seem to only include the early 2013 15" MBPs.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Mar 3, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Road Hazard

Contacted the local Apple Store which stated they would indeed take the SSD out and had it back to me. Unfortunately, they can't get to me until tomorrow as there are no appointments available today. Leaving today on a business trip and won't be back until the end of the month; borrowing a company issue Dell to do the basics until I get back.

I never would have thought that Yosemite 10.10.1 and 10.10.2 were incompatible for Target Mode usage.

Mar 3, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Road Hazard

"Apple Store which stated they would indeed take the SSD out and had it back to me."

Yes, thought that was pretty much SOP for them for an item under warranty.

"I never would have thought that Yosemite 10.10.1 and 10.10.2 were incompatible for Target Mode usage."

Hmm that doesn't make sense either. If the SSD was so dead or corrupted then perhaps it won't even mount, in which case your iMac won't see it.

Also if the MacBook Pro has video issues, since the OS is GUI driven it might not even go into Target Disk Mode.

Backing up a late 2013 MBP that has no video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.