Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule 2TB Wireless - How Many iMacs?

I have 2 x iMacs 500GB in my office and wondering if I can connect the two of them simultaneously using Time Machine for continual backups?

There is WiFi in the office and want to use it this way.

I can't seem to find the answer on the Apple website as this product has been discontinued.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:42 AM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2015 1:12 PM in response to liamdublin

You can do it with 3 or 4 Macs no problem.. they only have small disks so your TC has plenty of space..

There is WiFi in the office and want to use it this way.

Let me just make a comment on this.

You plug the TC into the office network by ethernet.. you run it in bridge mode on the network side.. that means router bridge.

And you create a wireless network.. You can use the same or a different name to the main network.. I recommend different.. and if you want to use wireless in the Mac not ethernet then use the 5ghz in the TC.. because it is faster and it will not overload your normal office wifi with backups..

The two Macs can slow your internet while they do backups.. it might only be a few minutes once an hour but it is still significant in some situations.. be prepared to fine tune your setup a bit.. and using ethernet is hugely better if this is possible.

If you have no need of the TC wireless and can setup the TC by ethernet that actually is possible even if the TC is not part of the network.

Time Capsule 2TB Wireless - How Many iMacs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.