Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook problem - this is a complicated one...

MacBook Pro - snow leopard - 15inch, 2.53ghz dual mid 2009

I've been using macs for some 20 yrs, this current machine has served me well for some 5+ years, so I consider myself an experienced user, I'm totally at home with mac gear, fitting ram, hard drives etc etc (the machine is factory standard, apart form a new hard drive fitted as an attempt to resolve these problems)

The problem started last week when the spinning beachball appeared on startup when one enters the password/selects the user. No matter what, the ball persisted. I reset, pram, nvram, smc, reinstalled all my files etc from a time machine back up, all to no avail. Any and all peripherals have been detached to check it wasn't a conflict issue there, even the apple power cable.

Days have been spent on this. I've run the apple hardware test (extended) on the utilities disk - all ok. I've run diskwarrior, techtool pro deluxe, onyx.... all find no hardware faults whatsoever - only software ones: minor file issues which have all been resolved without issue.

I've reset permissions, disk verification etc..

Then I've 100% erased the disk and reinstalled the entire system software and then it would start up, but hang once one it got part way through the numerous questions - eg: select language, country, etc..

I then installed a different hard drive - a new hitachi 1tb disk 7200rpm. At the same time I used a blower to remove any fan dust etc while the machine was open. All system software installed ok, but again it stalled with the beachball at the select country etc stages (I was not trying to transfer any data from another mac/time machine backup, rather going for a clean new install).... Faced with this failure I selected the option that I wanted to move data from a time machine back up instead and this time it worked, but again the machine hung on startup after the time machine back up had completed.

Then when starting up the machine it would hang at the password stage, or startup and then when the desktop appeared hang, or once it made it even further allowing me to boot up software programs but later froze. Now its back to hanging on the password/user startup page.

So everything has been reset, clean installs, thorough hardware testing, software conflicts ruled out as I've done totally clean installs purely from apple original dvds, rest every parameter. Run every diagnostic I can find and ruled out the idea its a secondary minor battery issue as I believe these MacBooks do not have a small battery to remember minor things rather using a capacitor charged from the main battery.

Perhaps its a very random breakage somewhere, fractured solder etc, but would prefer not to buy a secondhand tested logic board and tentatively install when the issue may not be this at all.

Finally the ram is the original apple installed units and has passed every diagnostic test...

So any ideas would be appreciated... many thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:50 AM

There are no replies.

Macbook problem - this is a complicated one...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.