Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my iMac 8,1 that is older than mid 2007 support OS X Maverick? I also believe there is only 6 MB of L2 cache. What would I need to do to update my Safari?

Will my iMac 8,1 that is older than mid 2007 support OS X Maverick? I also believe there is only 6 MB of L2 cache. What would I need to do to update my Safari?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2 GB memory 6 GB L2 Cache

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:05 AM

15 replies

Mar 2, 2015 9:15 AM in response to embarkercortrecht

If its an 8,1 iMac then its not older than 2007. It would be a 2008 model. And would in fact support Mavericks and even Yosemite.

If it truly older than 2007, and as such is not an 8,1 model then it will not support Mavericks, but may support Lion instead.

If all you want is a more up to date browser though, Firefox should be able to run its newest version on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Mar 2, 2015 11:08 AM in response to embarkercortrecht

Now we know you have 2 GB of RAM (and the suggestion to get more).

As for looking up your available hard drive space: in case you don't get the above window on your Snow leopard system (I can't remember what that looked like), you can find out how much hard drive space you have another way:

Double click or Control click on your Macintosh HD icon and you will see this:

User uploaded file

Choose Get Info; in the resulting window, tell us what it says next to these:

Capacity

Available

Used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.