Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime HD not working in Windows 8.1

Hello !

I'm trying to use the webcam of my Macbook Pro 15 (Mid 2012) under Windows 8.1 64 via Bootcamp.

Whatever software I'll use will give me a gray picture. The little green dot is there, and when I go in the camera settings under Skype, I can see that the contrast is at 0 !

When I put it back at 32 which is the average value here, I get a black and white functioning video but with low FPS and... well no color.

I can get the color back by tweaking some settings but whenever i leave the settings it goes back to gray !

I've been looking at the Device Manager and it tells me that the Facetime HD is indeed installed but with a generic Microsoft dating back to 2006...

I've been trying to update, re install Bootcamp alltogether and even force an Apple driver that I found online but it just crashes the whole computer.

I didn't find any more information online on that sort of problem. Just some posts about virtual machines...

I hope you can help me !

Thanks,

Robin

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), Windows 8

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:28 AM

Using Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support, download BC drivers appropriate for your Mac, and use Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers. The FaceTime camera should be installed automatically from the BC drivers. Test your camera.

The reason you might see a 2006 driver is because it is the original iSight driver.

On my 13" 2012 MBP, I have the following devices.

User uploaded file

and the pictures (1280x720) taken a few minutes ago...

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 11:28 AM in response to commandeur_brin

Using Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support, download BC drivers appropriate for your Mac, and use Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers. The FaceTime camera should be installed automatically from the BC drivers. Test your camera.

The reason you might see a 2006 driver is because it is the original iSight driver.

On my 13" 2012 MBP, I have the following devices.

User uploaded file

and the pictures (1280x720) taken a few minutes ago...

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for answering so quickly !

What software did you use to take the picture ?

I opened the properties screen like the one you showed and I get the same thing as you !

I get 3 devices in the Hardware tab. The built in one which has a Microsoft driver and which shows on every software and the other one, without the built in thing which has the apple driver !

But I don't know why under skype and every software I use I get that gray picture with no contrast...

Mar 2, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Loner T

Well this does not solve my problem but it's a start !!!!

I never used the windows 8 new UI...

I tried using the photo app and it works ! The image is clear, colored and seems smooth enought... However the apps I need it for are under windows classical desktop and it does not work there. It's like the there is One driver to control the camera under the new UI and an old generic one for the apps under desktop...

Strange...

Thanks for all the help !

I'll keep diging but if you have any more ideas, I'll take them ! 🙂

Mar 2, 2015 12:08 PM in response to Loner T

Wow ok ! I updated skype for desktop and well now it uses the correct colors and all !

The problem is that Skype was sort of my control app but not the one I am trying to use...

I'm trying to use FreeTrackNoIr which is a head tracking software that uses webcam. The problem seems to come from it ! I'll try to solve it or contact the devs !

Thanks for all ! Most of my problem is solved !

Best,

Robin

Facetime HD not working in Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.