Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some Photos Blacked Out

Some photos in library are showing up black with the triangle and exclamation point. It's an entire event in this case. However, the photos can be seen when scrolling but disappear quickly once I stop.

I have tried to replace the RAWcamera and RAWcamera support in Core Services. I have also tried to edit an individual photo as that worked for some people. I'm running iPhoto 9.6 (910.29) and machine specs should be below. I am still searching the forums for a possible solution but so far no luck.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 , 20 gig Ram

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 8:48 AM

14 replies

Mar 2, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Smorticula

This indicates a disconnect between the Thumbnail and the original

this can be caused by two things

1 - User action deleting items from inside the iPhoto library - can be directly - can be from the All images list (never delete from there) - can be from running cleanup software like MacKeeer, CleanMac2 or other dangerous, defective software that improperly deletes or changes things in the iPhoto library - if you have done any of these things you must restore your backup from before you did them and damaged your iPhoto library - and I recommend getting rid of any "clean up software" ASAP (although being essentially MalWear it is not easy)

2 - corruption of the iPhoto library - If it is not #1 then Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your database

LN

Mar 2, 2015 9:49 AM in response to LarryHN

Fortunately the same photos are on my wife's computer so I can get them back. I hadn't used anything like MacKeeper (one very bad experience years ago) and I haven't deleted photos as you described. I rebuilt the database anyway and that didn't work. I had a backup just in case but it would've contained the same blank photos as it was made a couple days ago as I planned on moving the library to an external drive. I also have Time Machine and 2 off site backups but those would likely contain the same problem photos. Thankfully my wife has them or I might be ordering a Dell o_O ( I jest)

Mar 2, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Smorticula

Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

I'm really hoping Photos is a good program. Seems people have been none too happy with some of the iLife apps lately like iMovie, iPhoto. Getting a lot of negative feedback.

Tried exporting files to desktop and got an error saying source file couldn't be found. I'm really at a loss for what happened there.

Mar 2, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Smorticula

I'm really hoping Photos is a good program. Seems people have been none too happy with some of the iLife apps lately like iMovie, iPhoto. Getting a lot of negative feedback.

Those reviews aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

The problems with them are manifold: for a start, happy people are less likely to review, unhappy happy are much more inclined to. That's why we don't have thousands and thousands of posts on this forum from all the people who have no problems saying "look I have no problems". Unhappy people get cross and are more likely to express that anger in negative reviews.

Then what about the reviewer? What is his or her knowledge, experience and skill level? No doubt they are having problems, and real ones, but how do you know if their issues are problems with the app, their own inexperience, third party conflicts and so on. I've seen people on here claim the fact that iPhoto won't edit video is a bug. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of posts from folks on here who are certain they've found a bug, only for their glitch to be resolved. No review is worth anything unless you know something of the reviewer, his or her knowledge and experience.

So frankly, I never bother with those reviews on any such stores, not just iPhoto on the Mac App Store. And here's a solid prediction: when Photos is released there will be a storm of negative feedback. There always is.

Mar 2, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Smorticula

As Terence has already pointed out that's not a reliable source. It's like judging the health of a city by visiting the Emergency Room of one of it's busiest hospitals.

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Smorticula

Then what about the reviewer? What is his or her knowledge, experience and skill level? No doubt they are having problems, and real ones, but how do you know if their issues are problems with the app, their own inexperience, third party conflicts and so on. I've seen people on here claim the fact that iPhoto won't edit video is a bug. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of posts from folks on here who are certain they've found a bug, only for their glitch to be resolved. No review is worth anything unless you know something of the reviewer, his or her knowledge and experience.

All that tells you is that there are 500 people unhappy, but tells you nothing at all about why they are unhappy.

Mar 2, 2015 5:49 PM in response to Old Toad

Assuming of course that 100% of the 50% of those Macs are still in use, and are still using iPhoto, and that 100% of 99.9% of the other iPhoto users are having no issues whatsoever (or just haven't noticed) based on the non-posting of the 99.9%. The 0.1% could probably be counted as the "margin for error" and that means 100% of users are satisfied with iPhoto. Glad that's settled. 😝

How about this then. In the App Store under Apps Made by Apple the iPhoto app has more ratings overall (by more than 200), and the lowest rating of all Apple Apps.

Now while we've agreed there is no actual problem with iPhoto, I would think someone might want to look into that. While the numbers may be statistically insignificant based on the number of iPhoto users that number is quite large in the world of App Store ratings. I would hazard a guess to say that it has more ratings because few things are going to irk a person more than family photos disappearing.

But I digress. I'm going back to my oldest copy on Time Machine to see if those files were corrupted back then, even though my wife has copies on her computer. What bothers me about this is that the off site backups don't help as they're being constantly updated so the problem simply gets copied to the backup. Hard to catch something like this unless scrolling through iPhoto regularly. 🙂

Some Photos Blacked Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.