Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop Mail from marking certain recipients as Junk

Does anyone know of additional ways to customize Mail's Junk filter beyond the rather coarse controls described in "Help"? For instance, I would think that if I mark some sender as "VIP", it would be a no-brainer that emails from that sender should NOT be marked junk. However, not only is the not the case automatically, I also find it impossible to set up such a rule. Alternatively, how can I tell Mail to never mark an email as junk coming from a certain sender or domain without having to set up a contact for that sender? Sometimes, I really just want Mail to stop "junking" all emails from a certain person without filling up my already too big contacts file.

Thanks for any hints.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Magic Mouse

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 6:38 PM

Do you mark as Not Junk?

You could add to your Contacts and put in a group called 'temp' then remove later.

4 replies

Mar 3, 2015 6:29 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks for the suggestion with the "temp" folder. Of course I tell "Mail" that a given message is "no junk" every time it misidentifies it - but after a few 1000 messages, the filter has a long history and can be quite stubborn to learn something new (the next message is declared to be junk by the filter again). Of course, I could reset the filter, but then it would lose all the valid information...

Mar 3, 2015 9:06 PM in response to Sebastian Kuhn

Either your Junk filter is corrupt or you are just the victim of having your address posted all over the spam world. My original address spammed constantly and no matter how much I tried to get unsubscribed for every site, nothing worked. Junk filtering was a pain with so much spam coming in and I got tired of trying to create rules to filter good messages and junk bad messages. No matter what you do, when it's that bad, good messages get junked and bad ones always find a way to get through.

Try resetting your Junk filter. Open Mail preferences and be sure to check the correct boxes to eliminate your contacts and previous recipients from being marked as junk. Since it isn't working now, you have nothing to lose.

Once it's working, your contact list should be OK. If someone isn't in the contact list, sending a message to them will add them to the previous recipient list which will also be exempt from junk filtering.

As I said, once your email is receiving tons of spam, there isn't much you can do. After years of fighting that myself, I gave up on my old email address and created new ones. I leave the old one accessable as webmail and have everything going straight to the trash. I only keep it because it is my main account and I can't delete it from my provider.

Since doing this, I've asked all my contacts not to put me on open group mailing lists so my address won't get stolen again. Those that wouldn't do so have been asked to remove me from their contact list. I'm very careful on where is use my email and if anything is in question, I give out my old address. It's been several years now since I've done this and I don't get any spam email.

If yours is really bad enough, it's well worth the effort on just creating a new email address. It was a hassle for a while with a new address, but going from 60 junk messages a day to 1 every year was a blessing.

How can I stop Mail from marking certain recipients as Junk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.