Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag

I am using Pages 5.5.2 and the drag and drop function is not working to add documents to a

folder or move folders from one location to another. I have a late 2012 iMac and Yosemite 10.10.2

I have not been able to drag and drop since upgrading to the newer version of Pages.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:28 AM

Pages v5.5.2 will allow you to drag/drop files, or folders in the open dialog into other locations using the sidebar Favorites as targets, but not other folders in the current open dialog view. Without an option key modifier, these drag/drop operations are move, not copy activity.

One cannot drag/drop a file object from the Desktop into the open dialog positioned in ~/Documents, as the dropping action is ignored, and switches the open dialog view to the Desktop.

If you have an existing Pages document open, and with Save As… you decide to drag/drop a folder from the Save dialog's Desktop view into the Favorites Document location, the Save dialog will close, without saving the current document, or moving the folder from the Desktop. The same activity with iCloud Drive as a destination will move the Desktop folder into iCloud Drive, and keep the Save As dialog open. Still in the Pages Save As dialog, you can click on iCloud Drive, and then drag/drop that folder back to the Desktop, with the Save As dialog remaining open.

I just did more testing than Apple has done in the entire application.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 11:28 AM in response to cris238

Pages v5.5.2 will allow you to drag/drop files, or folders in the open dialog into other locations using the sidebar Favorites as targets, but not other folders in the current open dialog view. Without an option key modifier, these drag/drop operations are move, not copy activity.

One cannot drag/drop a file object from the Desktop into the open dialog positioned in ~/Documents, as the dropping action is ignored, and switches the open dialog view to the Desktop.

If you have an existing Pages document open, and with Save As… you decide to drag/drop a folder from the Save dialog's Desktop view into the Favorites Document location, the Save dialog will close, without saving the current document, or moving the folder from the Desktop. The same activity with iCloud Drive as a destination will move the Desktop folder into iCloud Drive, and keep the Save As dialog open. Still in the Pages Save As dialog, you can click on iCloud Drive, and then drag/drop that folder back to the Desktop, with the Save As dialog remaining open.

I just did more testing than Apple has done in the entire application.

Mar 2, 2015 11:48 AM in response to VikingOSX

Ugh! So, I think you are telling me in better terms what I have experienced. You can't drag and drop documents or folders

within the open dialog box, but only into the large categories--like "documents" for instance along the left sidebar--which

doesn't organize them at all. And yes, you better described what I also discovered--taking a document or folder from the desktop

and trying to organize it within a dialogue box doesn't work either. I don't see that dropping it into one of the "favorites"

is an effective organizing tool. Especially when you are trying to organize folders within folders, for example.

Thank you for all your testing. If I understand correctly what you discovered, drag and drop is no longer an easy

intuitive function of Pages, right?

Mar 2, 2015 1:29 PM in response to cris238

You don't do any organising in the open dialog because you are trying to open files.

In the Save dialog you can choose where to save to and create new Folders if you want and save into those.

Otherwise you can relocate the file by clicking on the file name at the top of the Document Window.

To create a new Folder to save or move the file to go command shift n > name it then save into that.

You can add a Folder to the Sidebar, which becomes an alias, by dragging a folder to the Sidebar in Finder.

Peter

Drag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.