Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inability to restart a mail download broken due to data connection drop

I am facing problem in viewing attachments if the Mobile Data connection or the WiFi connection breaks in between the downloading of the mail attachment. The mail I am referring to is a direct email with attachments sent to my email address by a sender.

I am not expecting the iPhone to display the attachment without downloading the attachment, obviously. However, if the attachment download is interrupted due to break in data connection, I am not able to restore the download of the remaining part of the attachment later, even if the data connection is re-established subsequently.

In this situation when the data connection has been broken and the attachment has not been completely downloaded, if I click on the attachment, a window opens stating the attachment has not been downloaded. This attachment does not get downloaded even if I drag the attachment window down to refresh the content. I have also tried to mark the mail as unread and then reopening it to see if the attachment starts to download afresh- but nothing happens and the attachment does not start downloading nor it continues from the point of break. I have also tried to force close the mail app and then start the mail app again to reopen the particular mail and then clicking the mail attachment- but again failed to start the attachment download either afresh or from the point it had broken.

When i force close the App and reopened it and the particular mail, the pie chart on the attachment did not appear- both with as well as without clicking on the attachment. In this situation if we click on the attachment it again opens the same blank window of the attachment with text inside the window stating that the attachment has not been downloaded.

The same problem (inability to restore broken attachment download upon restoration of data connection) also happens if the data connection breaks while the email is open and the attachment is being downloaded (the attachment appears as a pie chart with increasingly shaded area indicating the progressive download of the attachment).

This problem occurs with both iCloud as well as Gmail mail accounts. The problem also continues even if i reset iPhone by pressing both Home and Power button simultaneously to get the Apple logo on the screen.

To clarify, the issue is not that the phone starts download while the data connection is down. Rather, the data connection breaks while the download is already continuing.

The above scenario basically prevents you from viewing the attachment if for once the data connection has been broken while the attachment is in the process of being downloaded.

But if I open the app after some time, and then reopen the mail it often happens that the attachment automatically downloads itself. ( i have not been able to quantify or assess the time span after which this happens).

The problem also happens in the case of viewing an email which has not been downloaded completely but the data connection breaks in between.

It has been happening since the beginning of my purchase of iPhone, but i have chosen to stop tolerating the problem recently and have thus highlighted it to you. This problem occurs with all types of attachments-pdf, word etc. It also behaves in similar manner in the case of main email content.

Kindly advise on how to ensure that in case a download of the attachment is broken due to break in data connection, the download of the attachment is resumed after the data connection is restored. There must be ways to make that email as a new email and then download the complete email alongwith the attachments afresh after the connection is established afresh in due course.

It is to reiterate and repeat once again what was discussed that the problem being highlighted is not that the download gets broken on network disruption. Instead the problem is that the download is not restored (nor restarted) after restoration of the network.

I understand and appreciate that download cannot happen without network and that the break in download upon network break is expected behaviour.

However, the inability to restore download after network restore is not expected behaviour.

This issue is independent of the type of network - WiFi or Cellular.

I want to address the issue of inability to restore/ restart download upon network restore.

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 8:52 AM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2015 9:57 AM in response to chattphotos

I agree that data connection should be reliable.

However, what I am expecting is that the behaviour of the iPhone Mail client should be made similar to that on a Desktop PC, like Outlook.

In other words, if we refresh the mail content by dragging the open window down it should actually refresh the full content including the attachments, even if it has been downloaded - in part or in full.

Inability to restart a mail download broken due to data connection drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.