Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't re-install iTunes on Windows7 64bit PC.

Can't re-install iTunes on Windows7 64bit PC. Tried uninstalling Apple programs in correct order and starting again with new download but I can't install Apple App support which means iTunes won't work. May be something to do with microsoft visual c++ redistributable package x86 which I cannot repair.

Help please!

Thanks

Mike

Dell PC-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:55 AM

8 replies

Mar 2, 2015 11:19 AM in response to mikeberry123

A hint from another thread suggests that temporarily disabling the Windows Firewall may help with the installation of the C++ Redistributable components.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try theiTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Mar 2, 2015 1:53 PM in response to turingtest2

I have tried all of the steps from "the 2nd box" from previous thread.

Disabled Firewall

uninstalled all itunes/apple items, in correct order

emptied recycle bin

restarted computer

reinstalled as administrator

Same error messages - "apple mobile device service item failed to start"

Windows error 123

I am ready to install an older version, but not exactly sure which is best - and I can't find the old versions on itunes website

PLEASE HELP!!

Mar 2, 2015 2:00 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I went into programs and made sure all of the named folders were deleted too.

I have not tried the "for older video cards" version (My computer is about 3 years old - would that seem necessary? (although i'm happy to try it,

do you happen to have a link?)

I can't remember the last itunes version that I had - i wanted to back up my phone, so I just clicked on "yes," for updating itunes, never

imagined this would happen

I am not sure where you are talking about scrolling down to the bottom for further info... where would I do this?

Mar 2, 2015 2:07 PM in response to denjill

Start at Further Information and scroll down or start at Support Documents and scroll up.

iTunes 12.1 was the first true 64-bit release. The "for older video cards" version is a 64-bit installer for a 32-bit core application, similar to all previous 64-bit versions. This may work better on a machine that fails to install the full 64-bit version.

tt2

Can't re-install iTunes on Windows7 64bit PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.