Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not recognising external drives or memory cards

Hi,

I've been using both a Lacie external drive and a standard SD card from transferring files and images on my computer for ages, with no problems. I have two issues, possibly related, possibly not.

1) I accidentally removed my Lacie drive before it had properly ejected the other day. The message that I had done so popped up on the screen so I plugged it back in, (as the Mac will usually fix this when it happens) and it never opened up in my finder. Tried restarting machine, but it still cannot even see the drive. It's an old external drive, and was backed up, so I put the problem down to that and almost forgot about it.

2) Today I plugged in the SD card from my camera to transfer some images. After the transfer, I ejected the card correctly, then reinserted it to do a last job. Again, nothing in the finder. It's like neither of the devices are even there.

I've checked finder preferences to make sure that I can see external hard drives - this is on.

I've done the old fashioned restart too. No luck either way.

An additional point is that my BACKUP drive IS visible in finder.

Any ideas?

I'm worried now that I shouldn't plug in any external drives, especially my work ones, just in case there is something seriously wrong.

iMac, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:48 AM

There are no replies.

iMac not recognising external drives or memory cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.