Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes no longer displays CDs after latest install

I've seen similar older questions, but I haven't seen an answer that works yet.

I Just installed latest iTunes SW (12.1.x?) on 2/28/15. Now iTunes does not display (or ask to display/import) a CD when I insert one (or have one inserted). (My preferences are still set to ask to import a CD when inserted.) iTunes has the same issue with both of my drives. Windows Media Player can play CDs from either drive just fine - so its not a problem with the drives. When I run iTunes diagnostics, iTunes recognizes my drives and gives them both 'green' status... however - they still don't show up in iTunes (when CDs are in them). iTunes seems to be working fine other than this. (I'm able to sync to my devices, play songs, etc.)

There's an articles I found on trying to repair 'missing drives' (iTunes for Windows: Optical drive is no longer recognized, or "Disc burner or software not found" alert after install - …) And I tried the steps here even though its not exactly the same issue. (I removed than 'reinstalled' the latest Gear driver; I verified I don't have either of the afs.sy, afs2k.sys conflicting drivers.)

I'm running Windows-7 64-bit.

I have not tried to uninstall/reinstall iTunes... [yet].

Anyone having the same issue?

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:42 AM

11 replies

Mar 3, 2015 12:25 PM in response to sir russ

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Did iTunes remove CD play/import in their latest version? (win7-64-bit)? (The preference setting for what to do when a CD is inserted is still there, run diagnostics still recognizes and reports all good on the drives,... there's just no longer access to a CD from anywhere in iTunes - that I could find. I looked everywhere....phone support yesterday suggested it was in the 'file' menu pulldown, but I could not access the CD from there either (I could see my drive from the 'browse' under import file... but if I click on any of the .cda files on the CD, nothing happens....)

This is VERY frustrating? (Of course I can rip the CD from another tool, but seems SO weird that its just 'missing' from the latest iTunes.

Mar 3, 2015 12:31 PM in response to sir russ

There's an alternative installer here: iTunes 12.1.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards) - some users have reported that installing this has addressed the problem you've encountered. The "for older video cards" is a something a misnomer - like most prior "64-bit" releases of iTunes, this is a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer. The "standard" 64-bit version (12.1 and 12.1.1) is a full 64-bit application, but there appear to be a small number of possible incompatibilities between these and some 64-bit Windows systems. The 12.1.1.4 release is better in this respect than 12.1.0.71 (with which many users encountered significant playback issues), but its clear that the current version isn't yet perfect ...

Mar 8, 2015 8:14 PM in response to hhgttg27

Hi there,

First, thanks for trying to help. I greatly appreciate that.

Unfortunately it wasn't the right answer. I spent a good bit of my Sunday uninstalling iTunes (Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support), and re-installing older versions all the way back to 12.0.1.26 (Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates). I tried all the 64-bit and 64-bit for older video cards as you suggested. It was the same result no matter which version I tried... iTunes simply ignored my optical discs (though I could see them in Windows, play them in various other SW, and run diagnostics on them successfully in iTunes).

Finally, I came across another support article (unfortunately don't remember where), that suggested iTunes might not recognize my driver after a drive letter change. (I recently added a new hard drive and reorganized some drive lettering using Disk Management.) The drive letter change worked fine for EVERYTHING... except iTunes!

I renamed one of the optical drives back to what it was, (reinstalled the 12.1.1.4 64x64 version of iTunes), and the drive is now seen!

UNBELIEVABLE. There must be some setting somewhere that iTunes remembers even after being completely uninstalled (per the referenced instructions) that causes it to fail to recognize the drive letter change!

Any idea what this might be? I saw some old articles back to 2009 on a similar issue, and find it hard to believe that iTunes hasn't fixed it by now! (And yes, I clearly see this as an iTunes bug as all my other cd/dvd/blu-ray SW is able to cope with a drive letter change through Windows 7 Disk Management.)

Please help. I would very much like to control what my optical driver letters are, and not have iTunes force me to use what was there when I'd originally installed.

Thank you.

-Russ

Mar 8, 2015 8:20 PM in response to sir russ

Sounds very much like a bug ... probably a registry setting that isn't being cleared properly when uninstalling. Definitely worth reporting to Apple via their feedback page even though you've found that this isn't a new problem. I have observed something that may be related, which is that running iTunes with the library on an external hard drive can be problematic if the drive letter of the drive has changed (even using shift-start and reselecting the library), or even with the drive having the same letter but being on a different USB port 😟. I haven't seen this for a while, but maybe I'm just being much more consistent with drive letter assignments and USB port usage ...

Mar 8, 2015 8:25 PM in response to sir russ

Yikes! I came across this support article from 2009! Can't play or import CD from iTunes 8.1

The user finally found out (it seems) that iTunes does not support using driver letters A: or B: for optical drives! These are same letters I used after reordering by drives.

I did a quick test and moved one of the optical drive letters to Z: and iTunes was FINE with that! I moved it back to A: and again it was not seen!

LOOKS LIKE ITUNES STILL HAS THIS BUG BACK FROM 2009! WAY TO WASTE MY TIME iTUNES! PLEASE FIX THIS ALREADY!

Mar 8, 2015 8:54 PM in response to hhgttg27

... and a quick Google search suggests that both the Windows kernel and the BIOS of most PCs still assume that A: and B: are floppy drives - and treat them differently from C: to Z: ... in particular, Windows won't index anything on an A: or B: drive. Even though the reasons are lost in time, it is probably best to avoid A: and B: for optical drives.

Mar 9, 2015 10:29 AM in response to hhgttg27

Thank you so much for your responses. I greatly appreciate it. I wish Apple was as responsive as you. I also wish it was easier to find out how to actually file a bug report with them.

My first PC was back in the 80's. I made sure to have a 5.25" floppy drive since 3.5" was still new. It was a fancy PC back then, with the 3.5" on my A: drive and 5.25" on B:.... Styling. The PC I run iTunes on now is about 4-5 years old, (about 25 years newer than my first one) and has up-to-date BIOS, Windows 7, etc. I built it myself with whatever was pretty much top-of-the-line at the time.

I don't doubt that even Windows 7 still has some ancient A;/B: drive issues lurking about. I was nervous about that when I changed my optical drive letters to use them a month ago. No other software, including Windows Media Player, had any issue, so there didn't seem to be a problem. I feel like I'd ripped a CD into iTunes since I changed the drive letters, but I must not have. Unfortunately I updated iTunes right before trying to import a new CD I just bought, which led me to believe the update was bad... especially after seeing several 'similar' issues from other users who updated to iTunes 12.1.1.4 (including your original comment). I suppose my bad, for not fully checking out using the old reserved drive letters when I changed them.

I still consider this an Apple iTunes bug (even though I'm sure there's plenty of blame to share with Windows). Since ALL my other software is fine with the drive letters there's no reason iTunes - as big as it is - shouldn't also be. AND there's no reason iTunes shouldn't warn about this when Run Diagnostics is run from iTunes. Run Diagnostics DOES recognize the A:/B: drives, but does NOT report any error on it. This would have been no issue at all if their diagnostics software identified that iTunes still has an issue with the historic drive letters instead of just reporting that everything is OK.

Hopefully Apple browses through these forums. I 'think' I found a place to report the BUG to them last night, but they don't make it easy to find that through their contact pages that kept bringing me back to the phone number web page. (Sorry for the rant... I'm just frustrated cause I wasted so much time on this, and even more time on my previous issue with iTunes stealing some music from me that I had purchased and saying i didn't own it any more even though I still have all the receipts... I'm really about to give up Apple completely - I already moved to Amazon for digital downloads due to Apple's music theft.)

Anyway I'll consider this issue closed when Apple fixes it (either by accepting the old reserved drive letters, or by updating their Run Diagnostics)... in the meantime, I have an easy, though undesirable, workaround in using alternate drive letters.

Again. Thank you for your help. Your responses helped push me to find the real issue and a workaround. I truly appreciate it.

iTunes no longer displays CDs after latest install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.