Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook is rejecting the blank DVD-R

Trying to copy bunch of photos from iPhoto to DVD - the macbook is rejecting a blank DVD-R - does that mean I need to use DVD+R?

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:40 AM

It should handle DVD-R but to check, select the Apple menu and then About this Mac then click on the System Report button. Along the left side of the window that pops up look for Disc Burning and it will show you the media your drive can handle. You should see -R listed.

Assuming that it is, there are a couple reasons the disc might be ejected. The disc might unacceptable for another reason, it is dirty or damaged for example. Cheap media can go bad pretty rapidly which is why I stopped buying large spindles of DVDs. Your drive might be damaged - it has one laser for CDs and another for DVDs. Also the drive lens might be dirty. There are lots of drive cleaning kits - consider them one use only items though because having cleaned one drive it is possible for the dirty 'cleaner' to pass the dirt on to another lens.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Stan5430

It should handle DVD-R but to check, select the Apple menu and then About this Mac then click on the System Report button. Along the left side of the window that pops up look for Disc Burning and it will show you the media your drive can handle. You should see -R listed.

Assuming that it is, there are a couple reasons the disc might be ejected. The disc might unacceptable for another reason, it is dirty or damaged for example. Cheap media can go bad pretty rapidly which is why I stopped buying large spindles of DVDs. Your drive might be damaged - it has one laser for CDs and another for DVDs. Also the drive lens might be dirty. There are lots of drive cleaning kits - consider them one use only items though because having cleaned one drive it is possible for the dirty 'cleaner' to pass the dirt on to another lens.

My macbook is rejecting the blank DVD-R

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.