Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the iPhoto Library package file be recreated?

I recently moved my iPhoto library to a new LaCie solid state external hard drive, because it had reached 130GB in size and was taking up too much space on my hard drive. My iPhoto library has 30,000 photos with lots of events, smart albums and metadata (faces, keywords, etc.). Unfortunately the external hard drive failed and I had to pay for data recovery services. When I got the external hard drive back, the Masters folders were all there with my photos, but the iPhoto Library package file seems to be missing. Is there anyway to recreate the iPhoto Library package to include all the files AND the associated metadata?

I found instructions on how to start from scratch by importing the Masters...but this method does not retain metadata. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Worst case scenario, I can go back to a Time Machine back-up from June 2014 and use that as a starting point, but I'd much rather not have to take that route.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:55 AM

2 replies

Can the iPhoto Library package file be recreated?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.