Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to search files within iCloud drive

How to search for iCloud.com drive files, through the online iCloud.com access? When I go into the folders or even at the top of the iCloud drive, there is no search tool.

background: I access my companies iCloud drive from home and often need to find files that are within sub-folders on a very heavily used iCloud folder. When I'm at work, I have the drive syncing to my desktop, so my regular finder search will show those files. However, at home, I do not want to sync my work iCloud with my personal mac. How is there no way to search the cloud version of the drive by file name, type, date created, etc? Please direct me if I'm missing this. thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 2:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, now that they're offering cloud storage, not just photo backup, they'll work on a search. We have some file folders that go 8 levels deep, each with it's own subfolders.

I would create another user, but this iCloud drive has over 500GB of files, so I don't want to have that sync and take up space on my home computer. I guess the best suggestion is to end our subscription with iCloud and move to google or dropbox. (which we moved away from, because we prefer Apple products.) ugh.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 2:12 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, now that they're offering cloud storage, not just photo backup, they'll work on a search. We have some file folders that go 8 levels deep, each with it's own subfolders.

I would create another user, but this iCloud drive has over 500GB of files, so I don't want to have that sync and take up space on my home computer. I guess the best suggestion is to end our subscription with iCloud and move to google or dropbox. (which we moved away from, because we prefer Apple products.) ugh.

Mar 2, 2015 11:15 AM in response to JLinMN

There is no search tool other than the Safari search field on the iCloud web page. Just guessing, but the developer team did probably see no need for a search tool, since the application libraries on iCloud Drive cannot be deeply nested have a very flat structure. As a work-around - mimic the flat structure of the application library folders in your custom folders, or create a second user account on your home mac, where you can sign in with your work iCloud Apple ID to access your work documents.

Mar 2, 2015 2:23 PM in response to JLinMN

. I guess the best suggestion is to end our subscription with iCloud and move to google or dropbox. (which we moved away from, because we prefer Apple products.) ugh.

Or ask your boss to buy you an external drive and move the home folder of the second account to that that external drive. Then it will not fill the storage on your private mac 😁

how to search files within iCloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.