Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to open video files purchased through iTunes in Quicktime, I get the message: 'Error 23132: an unknown error occurred. This never happened until I updated iTunes, but when I try to go back to the previous version, I still get the message.

When I try to open video files purchased through iTunes in Quicktime, I get the message: 'Error 23132: an unknown error occurred. This never happened until I updated iTunes, but when I try to go back to the previous version, I still get the message. It is more convenient for me to play videos in Quicktime since iTunes is such a memory hog. Please help.

Windows 8

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 7:47 AM

I have the same problem. Both my iTunes and Quicktime are up to date. I dislike playing video in iTunes. Since Apple isn't answering this problem I have decided I have no choice but to immediately halt purchasing any new videos from Apple. From now on I will make video purchases by DVD or other downloadable sources. It's Apple's loss. I find it incomprehensible that Apple hasn't addressed the problem at all, even giving no lip service to it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2015 7:47 AM in response to AnakinFlair

I have the same problem. Both my iTunes and Quicktime are up to date. I dislike playing video in iTunes. Since Apple isn't answering this problem I have decided I have no choice but to immediately halt purchasing any new videos from Apple. From now on I will make video purchases by DVD or other downloadable sources. It's Apple's loss. I find it incomprehensible that Apple hasn't addressed the problem at all, even giving no lip service to it.

Apr 9, 2015 8:47 AM in response to AnakinFlair

You may get better results if you switch to this alternate version: iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) and, if needed, reinstall QuickTime. The new (nearly) all 64-bit version doesn't seem to play well with QuickTime. Perhaps if DRM authentication is required QuickTime needs to be able to see something that is part of the older 32-bit code.

tt2

Nov 18, 2015 6:11 AM in response to AnakinFlair

I found that this issue only occurred with those movies in my library where I have downloaded both the HD and SD versions and I was trying to play the movie on a computer without an HD connection and/or monitor. Here is how I fixed the issue:

Open iTunes

In the File, Edit, View, etc. menu, select Edit

In the resulting drop down menu, select Preferences

In the resulting pop up window, select Playback

About halfway down, you will see the option to select your Preferred Video Version. The default setting is 1080p High Definition. Change the setting to Standard Definition.

Hopefully, this has you good to go.

When I try to open video files purchased through iTunes in Quicktime, I get the message: 'Error 23132: an unknown error occurred. This never happened until I updated iTunes, but when I try to go back to the previous version, I still get the message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.