Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting Issues in Numbers v3

Basically I have really long formulas that contain several (many) references to cells on the same rows but varying columns and from a few other tables on the same sheet and also from a different Master sheet. I thought maybe I needed to fix the preserve/absolute reference to the original row of each of these references in order to fix my sorting issues without getting errors because re-arranging the rows and columns in Numbers v3. But no combination of Preserve and unpreserve has solved my sorting problem.

Not sure if you understood all of this:

but all of my formulas work fine in Numbers v2 ('09) and (08 - or whatever it was before) but since moving to Numbers v3 my formulas break whenever I try to sort - It may be a bug - cause it seems to work for less than a second and then breaks. I initially thought it was due to issue you brought up in your first post here- the need to preserve/absolute references - but I've tried all of these combinations and everything still breaks whenever I sort.

If you're willing to help me out on this - I could really use your help.

Here are some screenshots but I'll attach my file too.

All of this worked fine in Numbers '09 (though probably not the cleanest or prettiest expressions)

The issue happens when I attempt to sort (by any column):

here it's all correct - with the expressions function all well and pointing to the correct references etc.

User uploaded file

NOTE Row 7 'Expense 5' for example. Everything is fine with the expression

User uploaded file

Expression points to correct reference cells etc.

User uploaded file

But after I sort (in this case sort ascending using column E which is the date) - The expression messes up and now points to different cell altogether

User uploaded file

I've tried preserving Row and Column for each reference and conversely have also tried to keeping the Row and Column unpreserved

(In Numbers 09 - it would work both ways)

I've also tried changing the date format to Year-Mo-Dy but it still gets messed up when I try to sort.

Again, I would really still appreciate any help on this. My budgeting has suffered significantly because of this.

Thanks in advance or even for being willing to help before,

Derick

Numbers 3.5.2

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mac Pro 2010

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:53 AM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Derick Manning

If you budgeting is getting messed up because of this... wouldn't it be best (in the short term) to continue using Numbers '09? Do you have a version that is still in Numbers'09 format? Can you restore from a backup?

When I look at the one formula in your screenshot my head starts to hurt. Maybe explain what you want to happen and let us help with the how.

Sorting Issues in Numbers v3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.