Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On public WWI i get message tha I am sharing my computer with other computers near me.

On my MacBook Pro. When using WWI in a public setting.The message I get is I am sharing computer with other users. I discovered I did not have a firesall I did activate it. I do not get that message when using WWI at my dayghters. I haave not checked it out in a different serring.

Mac Pro, iOS 7.0.5

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 10:44 AM

4 replies

Mar 3, 2015 4:19 AM in response to lijafromashland

If you don't have anything shared, you don't need a firewall.

If you are on a "safe" network behind a NAT router, you don't need a firewall.

If you are on a public network, you should disable any sharing services, then you don't need a firewall.

If you are on a public network, and you must allow sharing services to be open, you might want to enable the firewall, but that may not be sufficient as they can just crack your sharing passwords and get in that way. Then, they would have whatever access those shared users have.

You get the message because it somehow knows you are on a public network, and it somehow knows your daughter's network is not public.

On public WWI i get message tha I am sharing my computer with other computers near me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.