Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video deleted from iPhone 5s appears in iMovie import window

I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8 (latest update). There are about 8 videos I've made and subsequently deleted over the last nine months. They do not appear in Photos (or in Videos) on the iPhone. They are not offered as downloadable when connected to the iMac with iPhoto running. However, if I connect the phone to the iMac with the iMovie application open (on the iMac, running Yosemite), then iMovie offers to import all of these supposedly deleted videos! When I import them, iMovie does not offer to delete them. I just want to reclaim whatever space is being taken up by these.

I have tried resetting the iPhone to factory settings, but when it syncs with iTunes and restores from backup, the videos return. How do I delete these videos?! Anyone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:42 AM

Solved my own problem. I used an application called PhoneView which has a 7 day free trial. Launch the app with your phone attached, then click "settings" and check the box next to "Show Entire Disk in Disk Mode". In the left column, click Disk. Go to the folder called DCIM. There was more than one folder in here for photos. The original one, 100APPLE, contained the files that would never get deleted. These dated from 8-9 months ago. I have no idea how this folder got orphaned, but there it was, taking up precious space. There was also a folder called 101APPLE, which was the current, working folder for new photos. Just delete the older one, and voila! Space recovered!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 8:42 AM in response to blammy

Solved my own problem. I used an application called PhoneView which has a 7 day free trial. Launch the app with your phone attached, then click "settings" and check the box next to "Show Entire Disk in Disk Mode". In the left column, click Disk. Go to the folder called DCIM. There was more than one folder in here for photos. The original one, 100APPLE, contained the files that would never get deleted. These dated from 8-9 months ago. I have no idea how this folder got orphaned, but there it was, taking up precious space. There was also a folder called 101APPLE, which was the current, working folder for new photos. Just delete the older one, and voila! Space recovered!

video deleted from iPhone 5s appears in iMovie import window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.