Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Airport Time Capsule - ADSL Modem

Hi

First excuse any dumb questions :-)

I will start with the background, in the household i have many apple devices , 2 iPhones , 3 ipads and a apple TV , also connected to my network is my video editing (windows based PC)

I stream spotify from my ipad to my apple tv which is connected to my home AV receiver for music , but lately the music keeps cutting out and i keep getting a poor connection. i tried all sort of things like moving the WiFI router to changing the channel , nothing seemed to help.

So after speaking to a friend he recommended that i get a Airport Express as i also wanted a little bit of network storage i decided to go with the AirPort Time Capsule.

Now onto the setup issue, to make things more simple i purchases a simple D-Link ADSL Modem a DSL-320B, so all i want to do is use this as the internet and then get the Airport to do all the hard work of DHCP but no matter what settings i use , the thing will not work correctly.

I dont want the Modem to do DHCP (unless there is no issues with this) but though it would be better for the Airport to do all the work regarding DHCP so the modem has DHCP turned off.

With this turned of i set a static IP address on the Airport but it then complains about it has a private address and moans about NAT ,which is beyond my area of exptertease.

I can get the thing working in bridge mode but just was thinking it would be better if the Airport did the lot , that was my original plan anyway.

was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction , i may be getting all my IP's mixed up and wrong so any help would be great.

Regards

Dave

null-OTHER, null

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 2:24 PM

i purchases a simple D-Link ADSL Modem a DSL-320B

To setup the TC to do the whole job you need to bridge the modem.. please download and read the instructions for this model...

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/modems/dsl-modems/dsl_320b/how-to-setup-d sl-320b-revision-z1-in-bridge-mode

However, your ISP must support PPPoE.. and if you are in the UK that is problematic.

What was your original modem? Was it supplied by the ISP? Who is your ISP?

Tell me as if you are in UK.. and if you are using ISP that does not support PPPOE.. you are in strife.

If you don't know.. test it right now.. redo the setup of the modem running in full router mode and choose pppoe instead of pppoa and see if it works. If it does you win.. if it fails you lose.

I dont want the Modem to do DHCP (unless there is no issues with this) but though it would be better for the Airport to do all the work regarding DHCP so the modem has DHCP turned off.

If your ISP supports PPPoE.. that is just the first hurdle.. because PPPOE in the TC is problematic at best.

However.. give it a go.. simply choose PPPOE and put in your Username and password.

User uploaded file

If it fails.. or is unreliable.. welcome to Apple routers which are great on Comcast and Verizon cable setups.. Less good or hopeless on everything else.. ie the rest of the world.

If you must use modem as router.. you need a better unit.. and your original ISP one is probably superior to the dlink which is a bottom of the market model for bridges.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 2:24 PM in response to DaveMark8472

i purchases a simple D-Link ADSL Modem a DSL-320B

To setup the TC to do the whole job you need to bridge the modem.. please download and read the instructions for this model...

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/faq/modems/dsl-modems/dsl_320b/how-to-setup-d sl-320b-revision-z1-in-bridge-mode

However, your ISP must support PPPoE.. and if you are in the UK that is problematic.

What was your original modem? Was it supplied by the ISP? Who is your ISP?

Tell me as if you are in UK.. and if you are using ISP that does not support PPPOE.. you are in strife.

If you don't know.. test it right now.. redo the setup of the modem running in full router mode and choose pppoe instead of pppoa and see if it works. If it does you win.. if it fails you lose.

If your ISP supports PPPoE.. that is just the first hurdle.. because PPPOE in the TC is problematic at best.

However.. give it a go.. simply choose PPPOE and put in your Username and password.

User uploaded file

If it fails.. or is unreliable.. welcome to Apple routers which are great on Comcast and Verizon cable setups.. Less good or hopeless on everything else.. ie the rest of the world.

If you must use modem as router.. you need a better unit.. and your original ISP one is probably superior to the dlink which is a bottom of the market model for bridges.

Mar 2, 2015 2:33 PM in response to DaveMark8472

If you want to run the Time Capsule as the main router......take a look at the Draytek Vigor 120.....but make sure that your provider will support this device. You would need to replace your D-Link modem with the Draytek Vigor if you do this.

The 120 is a PPPoA to PPPoE "bridge".

However....if things are running well now with the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode.....unless there is a special feature that you need that requires that the Time Capsule be run in router mode......(the Guest Network feature is one thing that I can think of here).....it might be best to leave well enough alone.

Setting up Airport Time Capsule - ADSL Modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.